browning blr

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by bill1980, Nov 3, 2008.

1. bill1980

bill1980 New Member

i have a browning lighting blr 300 win. mag does anyone have info to completely disasemble and reasemble this rifle. it was at a gun smith to replace the the firing pin and 2 months later i got it back in parts he said he couldnt put it back together. he didnt charge but did not offer to help me find someone that could. no other gunsmith will touch it now. i can take it to a browning dealer to get it repaired but it is 150mls away. they said they would fix it but it would cost me an extra $50-100 to take over where the last guy started. if someone could get me through getting it together, it would be a great help and save me a lot of money.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

bill1980:

Get the book "The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly Part IV: Centerfire Rifles Revised Edition" by J. B. Wood.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Gu...ssembly/J-B-Wood-Wood/e/9780873491235/?itm=56

These are tough guns to put back together because the lever has to be timed to the bolt due to the rack and pinion design of the bolt closure but Wood covers that in the above book (page46).

I suggest that you spread the negative word on the gunsmith that failed to put your BLR back together. He obviously is not a real gunsmith if he can not even find the literature to help him get it back together for you, especially when he took it apart. And what other gunsmith would not take on a gun in the condition of your BLR? I would think good business practice would be to help the potential new customer and charge by labor hours rather than a straight fee and for whatever parts go missing or are broken. That is nothing more than good business practices. Shy away from those gunsmiths too!

Good luck.

LDBennett
  3. bill1980

bill1980 New Member

thanks for the help i ordered the book from my local book store in town. should have it in a week. gunsmiths are hard to come by. esp. when u live in a small town. thanks again.
  4. LDBennett

Bill1980:

Its no better in a large town. A lot of guys hang out the gunsmith sign without the knowledge or the ability. They make a living mounting scopes, cleaning guns, and changing recoil pads. Give them an assembly/dis-assembly task and they are lost. Heaven help them if they have to make any modification to the gun! You have to look closely at them to determine if they really are true gunsmiths and unfortunaltey it is hard without giving them work to find out how good they really are. I once used a gunsmith who was a service center for several name brand guns that was no more than a technician and did not understand the principals of gun design. Others turn out to be gun butchers, so be careful who you choose. Factory repairs almost always are the best way to go.

LDBennett
  5. bill1980

bill1980 New Member

thanks for finding that book for me. it did help but still couldnt get it quit linded up. i took it to a gun smith. a few miles away. came highly recomended by a few people. hes an old timer said hes done a few of them. so i should get it back next week. i hope.
  6. bill1980

bill1980 New Member

ok i need some help again. we cant find a firing pin for it. i beleive it's( brownell's) doesnt have it. and browning said they disc. the parts for this model rifle 10years ago. does anyone know of someplace else to locate one. he knows a custom gunsmith that could cut the old pin off and machine a new one on. but im not sure about that idea. have any sugestions. ive started to look for another old one that i could get cheap for parts. but as all of you probably know that near imposible.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  7. LDBennett

You might try Jack First.

A good gunsmith can almost make any part for any gun (almost!). A firing pin is pretty simple to machine up but....... it must be hardened. A good gunsmith can do that as well. They have to harden it to a specifc hardness level. Too hard and it will break (shatter) and too soft and it will mushroom over time.

To harden it correctly it is heated to cherry red and quickly submerged in oil or water depending on the alloy of steel used. It is then heated to a much lower temperature for a exact time to "draw" the hardness level down to the correct point and cooled slowly.

When quizing a potential gunsmith ask him what alloy he would use (drill rod, oil or water quenching is a good answer or some hard alloy of steel) and how he would get to the correct hardness level. If he avoids answering then avoid having him do the work.

A good gunsmith may be able to "fix" the existing firing pin by making a new pin end and pressing it into the old body but the pin part must be harden correctly or it will break too.

LDBennett