1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Browning BPR .22 Mag..

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 300 H&H, Mar 26, 2012.

1. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

This rifle was made in the late 70's early 80's. It belongs to a friend, and is very poor at ejecting shell casings...

I noticed that the firing pin is used as the ejector at the back of the pump handle/bolt stroke. Not a good arrangment IMHO. The firing pin has not a lot of travel to get the job done, and you must cycle it fast/hard to have any hope of ejection.

I was wondering if some one here had a fix for this rifle. I think I remeber this issue being brought up about these rifles in a tech artical in the rifleman, as the key weak point....

Any help appreciated:D

Regards, Kirk
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Hey Kirk, no its not a hard fix. Mostly contributed to loose extractor tension. The fired casing needs to be held somewhat firm to the bolt face so the firing pin can pop it out. If the chamber mouth is distorted this can also cause that problem bc upon extraction, the extra resistance pulls the case away from the bolt so with the remaining stroke of the action, it does not have full control of the spent round.
  3. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Helix,

What can be doen for the extractor tension, other than a new spring?? Can it be streched slightly, to get buy? I understand what your saying about the case being tight against the bolt face. Could the extractor hook, (on the off side of the firing pin) be worn or bent such as to cause the casing to be loose against the bolt face? The extractor next to (and perhaps connected to?) the firing pin has no hook on it, just a paddle like end.....This would let the casing swing toward the right ejection port. No hook on this side is there? The extractor on this off side appears to move with the firing pin, and it appears to have a slot in the extractor that lets it move fore and aft. Is the firing pin one piece with this extractor?

Will check the rear of the chamber for burrs and any out of roundness...

Thanks, Kirk
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012