Browning Challanger 22 cal

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by buckeye14, Nov 17, 2009.

1. buckeye14

buckeye14 New Member

Hi guys , I found one of my dads guns he's had for a while. Any info on it like date of mfg. and value would be great. Its a
    Browning Challanger 22 cal. pistol. its in almost new condition. bluing is 99%.
    It has been shot, but not much. It has a red and black plastic case not pictured. serial 73xxu2. thank john
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you need any more info just ask. thanks for looking
  2. buckeye14

buckeye14 New Member

Is there any more info I need for you pros to answer my questions? if so LMK.
    Thanks, John
  3. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Buckeye,

Are you sure about that serial #?. Does'nt quite make sense from the Browning charts. I have that same exact pistol, made in 1969. Can you double check the #. The Challenger was made from 1962 - 1975. The Challenger II was produced from '76 - '85.

From '62 - '68 The serial would be a single digit followed by the 'U'.
    Example: 2UXXXX would be a Challenger made in 1962

From 69 forward, there would be a two digit # followed the by the letter 'U'
    If the serial is 73UXXX...that would be a 1973 model.
  4. buckeye14

buckeye14 New Member

Hi rocklinskier, If I'm reading the number right the whole number is
    7325u2. four numbers then u2. any help? Thanks John
  5. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

John,

It seems Browning did some switching about of serial #'s back then.
    After a little more research, and if my info is right, you have a first year production Challenger. 1962

From what I can tell by the pics, it looks to be in really good condition. Now...I'm not an expert here, but I'm guessing it would have a value of around $400-$450...Perhaps a bit more to the right person.

Keep in mind, I'm not really the source on value. A reputable gun shop that regularly deals with used handguns, or a good auction might give you a more reliable quote. This can also vary a bit depending on your location.

My '69 which is clean, but maybe not quite as clean as yours, was valued at $350 by a local shop of the above type.

Attached Files:

6. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Just an after note:

If you are entertaining the thought of taking it to the range and running some rounds through it, DO IT :D:D

This is a really fun gun to shoot. Ours belonged to my wife's Grandfather who gave it to her a few years ago. The only wear/rub marks on the pistol are from it being taken in and out of an original Browning holster that it came in. Although it is a "family treasure" it's one of the funnest guns in my safe to shoot. Very comfortable, easy, and inexpensive to plink. Just be sure to have a mat, or soft cloth, or a padded zipper case handy if you do. Don't lay it on the wood bench, steel table, etc. at the range. Also keep in mind, wedding rings can do a lot of subtle damage to wood grips.
    If it's been previously fired, you won't devalue it by using it, just be gentle, and don't let it get scratched up. As long as it's not abused and kept cleaned and oiled, it should serve you well.
  7. buckeye14

buckeye14 New Member

Thanks for the reply rocklinskier. My son and I have shot the gun a few times
    and we both like the feel of it. It shoots great. The condition : I would rate it at a 98%. There is a tiny bit of wear on the bottom of the magazine. It really is a beautiful little hand gun. Thanks again.....John