Browning "FN" question, and other Q's

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 1 Eyed Jack, Nov 22, 2012.

1. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

When you are looking online at Browning rifles, sometime I see "(FN)" added to the title/description, what exactly does this mean? I see reference to "Fabrique Nationale", which sounds like it's from the French langauge,

Does this mean that it was assembled in a foreign country, someone please educate me as to the meaning of "FN",

This gun is a Safari II Model, has the typical, "Made in Begium-Assembled in Portugal" stamping on the barrel,

To keep the story short, I'm having some cash flow problems and need to pay some medical bills and give the family SOME kind of Christmas, so regretfully I am considering sell my BAR, chambered in Rem 7mag, w/BOSS,
    I took the beautiful walnut stock and forearm off of it before it was even shot, and put on black synthetic replacements, (more character in the grain patterns than most, I looked at diff BAR's for a month until I found this one with the better than average looking walnut, usually found on the higher grade models) stored the walnut stock/forearm in thick wool socks in a drawer in my nightstand, the walnut is in 100% perfect condition,

The gun has fired 60 rounds of quality factory ammo, Fed. 150 gr. Vital Shock,

Made in 2001, I purchased it new in '04 or '05, have box, instructions, BOSS instructions, lock etc., that came in the box.

It will come with a quality Leopold mount, NO scope, and both sets of stock's-forearm's, also has $60 leather, padded sling, and quick release sling swivel's,

You can still find the same gun new(not the newer unatractive BAR), for $1000-$1200, without the extra's though, of course,

What would you realistically ask for this gun, in this condition, with these add-on's going with it?

Thanks, this is a hard decision, but I have to put the family first, so I'm looking for some honest answers about pricing, this is the only gun I am willing to part with as there is no sentimental/family history associated with it, I don't even want to think about selling family/sentimental value guns but it may come to that if things don't turn around for me soon,

I'm not posting any pics, normally, yes, it's required to help assess the value, but in this case, it looks like a new rifle, except it's been fired.

Thanks in advance, I have high respect for some of the resident knowledgable folks here, and will appreciate some feedback.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  2. steve99f

steve99f New Member

FN is a Belgian company. John Browning went to them to build his A-5 shotgun after the deal with Remington fell thru due to a death, and Winchester screwed up their arrangement with him. FN has worked with and then owned Browning Arms ever since. Not sure who owns what now. Don't know anything about the rifle itself.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

"FN" in the case of "Browning" guns means "Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre" (National Factory for War Weapons). Later renamed FNH for "FN - Herstal", it is a private company with its headquarters in Herstal, Belgium (a suburb of Liege), in the French-speaking part of that country.

John Browning was an American inventor who designed many firearms in the last part of the 19th and early part of the 20th centuries. Born in 1855 in Ogden, UT, he was what we might call today a "free lance" inventor, selling his ideas to whatever companies would buy them for the best deal he could get. Many of his rifle designs were bought outright by Winchester and his handgun designs by Colt. Later, he entered royalty agreements with FN, Remington and other companies. Toward the end of his life he worked at Herstal on several designs, including some that were never made in the U.S. due to non-compete agreements between FN and Colt. He died in Belgium in 1926. The design he was working on at the time was refined and completed by Dieudonne Saive, the great FN designer, and became the "Browning High Power."

FN found that the name "Browning" had sales appeal and, having the rights to the name, used it on guns Browning himself never saw or had anything to do with, like your commercial BAR (the military BAR, a light machinegun, was designed by John Browning for the U.S. Army during WWI).

Edited to add: Steve, AFAIK, FN does not own Browning Arms Co. Browning Arms Co. does not manufacture guns, it is the U.S. distributor for FN sporting arms but is not part of FNH.

Jim
  4. RJay

RJay Active Member

" sounds as if its from the French language " I wonder if French being the language of Belgium would have any thing to do with that? Something to think about!
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

There are two languages spoken in Belgium, French in the southern part and Flemish, a dialect of Dutch, in the north. As in our northern neighbor, all government documents and functions have to be conducted in two languages. (We are approaching that point with English and Spanish!)

A good example is the marking "ABL" on Belgian military arms. It is a combination of letters with the "AB" standing for "Armee Belgique" (Belgian Army in French) and "BL" standing for "Belge Leger" (Belgian Army in Flemish).

JIm
  6. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Thank you for the info so far, and no, I had no idea French was spoken in Belgium, to any extent, when I think of Belgium I think of German or Dutch, don't know why, but in my mind, right or wrong, the two are connected, I must have been not paying attention in world history class,

I do know the "real" BAR is not what we have been able to buy commercially since the '60's, or maybe '50's I don't know when the BAR hunting rifle made it's debut, only that I wanted one badly from the first time I saw one as a kid, only had to wait until I was almost 50 to get one, now I may have to sell it,

I did see a refurb'd/rebuilt real class 2 BAR online today for $25K on one of the auction sites, can't imagine lugging one of those around, my rifle with scope, sling, and loaded is nearly 10lbs., and starts to get a little heavy when you are hiking around with it for a few hrs.
  7. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Jim,

That got me looking because I could have sworn they were connected. Turns out the Herstal Group owns FNH, Browning, Winchester, and Miroku in Japan. That includes Winchester Ammunition business too. They had been separated at some point. Didn't know that.

So between Remington (Freedom Arms, Cereberus) and the Herstal Group, they have most of the firearms business. Savage is still independent though.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The ownership of so many gun companies by a few conglomerates is disturbling. The anti-gun gang or the government would not need legislation to ban gun manufacture - they would need only to "persuade" those companies to get out of the gun business.

Jim
  9. steve99f

steve99f New Member

In the short term it doesn't matter too much. Plenty of firearms and ammo in private hands in the US. Longer term, yes, not good. The globalization of business along with the continuing growth of the UN's reach portends bad things.

The IBM ad "we want a smarter world" No thanks.