Browning Gold ??

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Walleye65, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Walleye65

Walleye65 New Member

Hi,
    I have an opportunity to purchase a Browning Gold Deer Hunter.
    Gun is around three years old. Walnut stock. 22" rifled slug barrel with a cantelever scope mount. Scope is a Leupold Rifleman 2X7 shotgun scope.
    All are like new. This gun was purchased, sighted in, and never taken into the field.
    I can purchase this package for $550 (i think).
    I am fairly certain this is a killer deal....but....
    I will need to turn it into a field gun for my son.
    Duck hunting, Sporting Clays, Etc.
    I would like to sell the slug barrel/scope, and purchase a 26" field barrel.
    Is this a good deal?
    Will the barrel swap be an uphill battle?
    Is there anything about this model that will make it a poor field gun?
    Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated !!!!!
    Thanks,
    Walleye65
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Wally, that is a great deal. The browning golds have some of the smoothest actions you'll ever come across. The down side is that the barrels are very expensive and you can only get from Browning IIRC. I had a customer with a Gold stalker. He had a short 22 in barrel on it but he wanted a 28 in for trap shooting. That barrel cost almost 400.00 alone.
  3. Walleye65

Walleye65 New Member

My hope is that a new condition slug barrel with mount, and the Leupold Scope, will bring in enough to easily purchase the barrel i need.
    My hope is to have a new Gold for around $500 if all works out.
    (I just hope there is nothing special about the Deer Hunter version that would stop it from being a great duck and clays gun).
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Not that I'm aware of. All of those actions on the gold series are the same. They only thing that may change out is the piston system to the sporting clays setup. They run about 100 bucks.
  5. Gamemaster 760

Gamemaster 760 New Member

Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield sells brand new ding and dent Brownings for about $650.00
    For what you are buying and what you will have to put into it and what you will be able to sell the unwanted parts for - you would be much further off just buying a new shotgun that is the way you want it and forget about buying something and then trying to make it into what you want.

As others has said - you might end up with $1000 into a shotgun that is only worth $650.00 or less.