Browning hi power or 1911 for self Defence?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Unknownphynix, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Unknownphynix

Unknownphynix New Member

There are many devoted people to certain firearms fo SD. I think one large group, is wedded to the classics of a large frame pistols. By this I mean the Browning hi power, and the 1911. Both pistols have a sterling reputation, and have proven themselves in battle. I have nothing against a 1911, but i must say my hi power goes with me on just about every occasion, trip, and dark alley.

I want to hear your opinions. Especially those who are devoted to either a 1911, or hi power. What do you like about your large frame 9mm or .45ACP. What inclined you to trust this piece of iron/steel and wood with your own life if it were to come down to it?

Discuss...
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Hi Power or 1911? Nah. Large frame, all-steel pistol? Definitely. :D I'm a big fan of the CZ75.

Don't get me wrong; I like 1911s and Hi Powers, too. Just not quite as much.
  3. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

I own and shoot both, but the 1911 fits my hand a little better, just feels natural. If you're talking HP in 9mm and 1911 in .45 ACP I prefer the heavier bullet of the 1911 as well.
  4. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

The Hi-Power is a great gun wedded w/ the wimpy 9mm cartrdge; the .40cal version is better but bulkier.

Give me a good 1911 any day.
  5. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Ive owned both for many years, and am very fond of both. I would have to say I prefer the 1911, but I feel pretty well armed with both. If the SHTF, I will have BOTH on me. ;)
  6. Jay

Jay New Member

I first fired a 1911 over 40 years ago. It performed just as I needed it to. I've carried one ever since. It suits me just fine, but obviously, it a case of "to each his/her own". Be glad we have a choice.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Stopping power is what I'm looking for in a SD handgun, coupled with good looks, and fit for me. Hatcher rates the .45 ACP jacketed hollow point 230 grain, at 60.7, on his scale. He rates the .44 Special lead wad cutter 240 grain at 76.5. He rates the 9 millimeter jacketed hollow point 147 grain at 39.9. I like the big slow bullets, and the feel of a gun that has some weight to it.
  8. Unknownphynix

Unknownphynix New Member

Those are good quality too. Never actually fired one
  9. firefly345

firefly345 New Member

I have and will have both, I like both, depending on what I want it to do depends on which I would like to carry. Since most of the better handguns, ones in question, are copies of the two originals, colt 45, browning high power, including the CZ75, my witness, or my colt gold cup trophy/match 45. Guns are like women, some are excellent for general purposes, some are better for specialty's. Your choice as long as they are in good condition close to hand and ready for service.
  10. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I carry one of these almost everyday. The Combat Elite gets carried more in winter and the Defender is my Summer carry. There's a lot to be said about 7+1 in a 45 1911 that is the size of a snub nose revolver.

[​IMG]

Here's some proof on how small a 45 acp 1911 can be.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  11. doug66

doug66 New Member

The 2 best fighting handguns, ever. IMO...
  12. RedHawk

RedHawk Former Guest

any caliber above .40 in auto's and you'll be alright !
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Unknownphynix using what your most comfortable and can handle best , is best

22 WMR is a great self defence round if you can use it

380 double tap is a knock out

but for me after using the browning is i'd rather a 1911
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  14. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Never shot the browning hi power. But the 1911, well, there is none better!
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

My old carry

it WILL DO THE JOB , just preference eh ..

like anything , practise ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  16. RJay

RJay Active Member

I have both, I like my Browning for it's balance and ease of shooting. As far as the 9MM being wimpy, stand in front of a 124 Gr. 9MM projectile and tell me how it feels. I carried a Browning HP for a while in Nam and I did not feel under armed. In fact it was a constant struggle to keep off the other guys who wanted to trade me out of it ( or steal it ). Bottom line, reliability and familiarity of the gun trumps all.
  17. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I dont want to stand in front of ANY bullet.
  18. The Duke

The Duke New Member

A Browning HP in .40SW was my carry gun 10 or so years ago...What I dislike about it is its totally worthless for a defensive sidearm, frigging Magazine Safety...:mad: Id go .40SW anyday vs 9mm...The HP is all steel and can be shot a LOT without wearing anything out. Mine has an ambi safety which is a plus...

Today I prefer the 1911 SW Pro Series .45ACP...Its smaller, lighter, the safety is right size, dependable, powerful, fits my hand and points very well..doesnt hammer bite....It will take most any 1911 magazines..Good sights that I prefer over the BHP...Carried cocked and locked the grip safety on the 1911 gives me a bit of extra feel good and its rounded hammer doesnt dig my spare tire as the BHP..

I prefer the .45ACP over the .40SW but wouldnt feel undergunned with the 40either.. If I had to choose between these two pistols...Id give the edge to the HP for home protection (with some Trijicon sights added) due to the larger magazine capacity and the SW for concealed everyday carry..Both are outstanding firearms.

[​IMG]
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The orginal question is a bit like asking what do you drive to work, a ford or a dodge? They both get er done quite nicely, both are rather classy weapons. The .45 has better knock down, the 9 mil has better capacity.. Where one seems to lack the other seems to accel. all that said, I lean toward the .45 because I just love the 1911, but i wouldnt feel at all undergunned with a BHP on my hip.

And I must agree with CJ in that the CZ75 is twice the weapon the BHP is. I guess you could compare them like tanks. The BHP would be the venerable victor of the allies in WW2, the sherman. where the CZ75 would be the modern warhorse the Abrams, just better built, and with more firepower..
  20. Wildalaska

Wildalaska Former Guest

Im a High Power Guy

[​IMG]

WildfitsmyhandthebestAlaska ™©2002-2011