Browning Hi Power with NO serial number!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by plmmm, Jul 15, 2012.

1. plmmm

plmmm New Member

i just bought a used 1974 Browning Hi Power and i can NOT find the serial number on it anywhere. it's supposed to be serial number 74C14932. this gun was one of 52 from the estate of a deceased sheriff (Died about 6 months ago). his son went thru the probate process and is now the legal owner of the guns so we've done a face to face sale. the only marking on the gun is "Browning Arms Company Morgan, Utah Montreal PQ Made in Belgium" on the left of the slide. NO markings on the right side of the slide. In the ejector port it says "CAL9m/mP". then below that is a sideways emblem with a crown. and to the right of that a sideways capital Y followed by a star. otherwise i can not find a serial number. should i return it to the seller? ALERT! The serial number was found under the Pachmayr wrap around grip. Thanks guys.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Welcome to TFF. I will try to be both brief and candid (blunt). I assume that you know what you are talking about, and are correct in that no serial number is to be found.

You could have a US Government Agency "Black Ops" weapon since it was owned by (or at least in the possession of) a LEO. Or, it could have had its serial number(s) removed; professionally or otherwise.

The problem is that unless you are a "Black Ops" employee of a U S Govt. agency (with a "Get Out of Jail Free" area code and telephone number for regular LEO's to call should you be detained) YOU CANNOT LEGALLY POSSESS IT! It has to be surrendered to (turned over to) the ATF for no compensation to anyone.

I would suggest that you return it to the son of the sheriff, and demand your money back. Your state laws permitting, I would have an electronic voice recorder running, in all future conversations with the son, to document what you say; and advise him that the pistol is not legal to possess. I would waste no time in doing so, because you may be reasonably certain that TFF posts will be read by someone associated with the ATF; and two of ATF agents will likely be paying you and the sheriff's son a visit.

If the son refuses to refund your money, I would contact an attorney to deal with the ATF and surrender the pistol. Then you can go after the son for what you paid for the pistol plus your attorney costs.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  3. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Look under the hand grips (if you haven't already).
  4. plmmm

plmmm New Member

Good news. indeed the serial number was under the Pachmayer wrap around grip. Duh! Thanks guys.
  5. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

All is well that ends well.
  6. armoredman

armoredman New Member

I had a similar experience with a Dept Armorer who didn't know where the serial number was supposed to be on a Smith revolver. Glad you found the serial number and all is well, now go shoot that old warhorse! :)