The Firearms Forum banner

Browning Hi-Power

10K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Jim K 
#1 ·
Hey!

Im new to this so bear with me.

I have done some research, and I cannot pinpoint the value or what time period my browning Hi-power is from. It was passed down to me from my grandfather.

On the left side it says "Browning Arms Company Morgan Utah & Montreal P.Q." Under that is says "Made in Belgium". I have seen many where "made in belgium is on the right side, but both are on the left side of mine.

Also, the rear site is adjustable and the Hammer does not have a hole in it like some do.

If you can help me, it is greatly appreciated.

#3 · (Edited)
You have a Browning High Power made in the late seventies, and if you post the serial number we can tell you in what year it was made. This is more valued than the later ones assembled in Portugal, and depending on condition is worth between $500 and $750. If you had the original pouch, spare magazine and factory instruction booklet, that would add significantly to the value.

#10 ·
suggested retail prices for a new mk 3 is around 990.00 dealers are selling them for 750 all day long. the newly made 75th anniversary models retail ( suggested) at 1100, dealers are selling them for 875 . at least this is the case in my area. i presently own 2 older hi-powers and with the exception of a 40 S&w model that i owned briefly ( jam-o-matic ) i have no experience with the new ones so i couldn't expound on the merits of a 1978 made one vs. a new one.

#11 ·
The new ones are probably as good as the old ones, but purists and collectors are only interested in the older ones. They do have a better fit and finish than the newer ones. Having adjustable sights on an HP makes it less useful as a carry gun, so it doesn't increase the value very much. The ring hammers and the "T" serial numbers bring the most money. I think it is foolish to pay those big prices for the Portugal assembled pistols when you can pick up a 1970 series for around the same price. The ones collectors like the best are the ones with tangent sights.

#15 ·
FWIW, both the books cited should be used only as guides. Even gun show prices do not always reflect the store prices in a specific area. On-line auction selling prices are better, but often are erratic if someone with a lot of both money and ignorance seriously overbids. I hope everyone here realizes that the best anyone can do is an estimate, more or less educated, depending in part on who does the estimating.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.