Browning High Power and the clones????

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by LDBennett, Jan 3, 2005.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I want a High Power, either a new Browning or a new clone. Has anyone done a direct side by side comparison between them?

What do you get for twice the money in the real Browning?

Is there any difference in reliability or accuracy?

LDBennett
  2. kkramer673

kkramer673 New Member

I own two High Powers. One is a 1984 chrome Browning HP and the second is a Charles Daly HP I just bought a week ago. Nothing really needs to be said about a Browning High Power; it's a 70 year old classic with adjustable sights. I bought mine used (but without any discernible use) for $650, which included 3 OEM 13-round magazines.

Then I started seeing reviews in various gun magazines about Charles Daly's new HP, with a US-made slide and foreign components, all of which are assembled for Charles Daly (by Dan Wesson, I believe) in Massachusetts. I bought mine on the Internet from Ordnance Outsellers in Tallahassee, FL for $380 (list price is $549). I am more than pleased with the pistol's workmanship, slide to frame fit, and reliable operation. Plus, the Express Sights XS sight system is perfect for a service-type pistol. Functionally, I am equally pleased with both my High Powers, and for literally half the price, the Daly is hard to beat. By the way, it is a High Power clone in every respect, and HP magazines are compatible with it. Whether Browning/FN parts are interchangeable with the Daly, I can't say.

Hope this comparison information helps you decide.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

kkramer673:

Thanks for the info.

I took your advice and looked at the Charles Daly HP. After inspecting the Daly HP I compared prices to a "real" Browning and decided that the Browning was not twice as good. I want the HP to shoot not as an investment. So I put one one layaway yesterday.

I didn't get the super price you got but did OK for California. I would have bought it outright but, as I bought another pistol 21 days ago and I can only buy one every 31 days (thanks, California anti-gunners) I have to wait about 10 days to start the paper work (DROS-state personal check, federal forms, affidavit for ownership of a safe, validation of having taken safety test, Driver license and second source of address plus wait 10 days although the DROS check is instantaneously done by computer). A friend was along and wanted to buy a Ruger 22 pistol. It was going to cost him about $100 in fees and sales tax for a $250 gun as he had not taken the "new" safety test, the DROS fees had escalated, and the nearly 9% sales tax. He walked away and bought a gun off a friend.

LDBennett