Browning High Power need Info (Has Picture)

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Vakarian, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Vakarian

Vakarian New Member

I have the opportunity to purchase a browning High power besides the name i know very little.

I dont have the gun in my possession but i do remember that the serial number started with a T. (I was told that the T versions were made around 1965 and up)

The magazine does not drop freely. Because it has a built in saftey so that the gun cannot fire while the magazine is released. (Not sure if thats helpful to identifying the year of the model)

The grip easily fits in my hand, i think its far better then the way a colt fits, which is the reason id like to buy it. Its 9mm with a 13 round clip.

In the picture you cant tell the writing, but it did say Made in Belgium and i believe it had fabrique nationale on it as well. Also a canadian inglise bit but i cant remember for sure.

http://www.imagehosting.com/show.php/1410011_BROWNINGHP.bmp.html

Looking closley its got abit of rust, on the bottom of the clip in a small space and around the sites, but not very much and when i remove it it should be perfect. Other then that there are no scratch marks, or damaged parts to the weapon, it seems to be in perfect condition. The picture shows some discoloration but i dont think thats the gun.

I have been hunting for any information i can get on this type of make and model, if anyone here wishes to practice thier teaching skils and educate me with a long list of references and essays id be more then happy to read through your response.

Thanks alot for any responses. (Pls refrain from cursing me out and saying a 1911 is better and for me to F@#* off) lol
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  2. Tomygun

Tomygun New Member

Vakarian, You describe a Belgian HP which to me doesn't seem very rare but is desirable. Condition will decide and it seems to be far less than 100%. If you collect these exclusively this may be something you want. If you only want one you may want to wait for a better one. Tomygun
  3. Vakarian

Vakarian New Member

Well the gun on my inspection was perfect, (minus slight rust as stated) reason being the previous owner never used it and kept it in a drawer. I apologize that the picture is poor quality, thats my bad. But if it is a pistol from 1965, and it is a browning, shouldent i snatch it up? Its a friend that will practically give it to me who owns it now.

Is the model really no good, is there a better browning i should be looking at getting? Cause from my readings browning hp's are prety damn good. All the brownings ive been seeing have the adjustable sights or other differences. This one is the only one ive seen of its kind.

More input would be appreciated, im looking for advice as this will be my first purchase of weapon.
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

You cannot go wrong with a classic Browning High Power pistol. I would buy it.

Don't be concerned that the magazine doesn't drop free. Many military handguns are designed this way. It keeps the troops from dropping the magazine in the mud.
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Vakarian.....welcome to TFF. :)

Well, if it says "Inglis, Canada" on it, it wasn't made in Belgium, and it wasn't made in 1965.

It's a Browning Hi-Power all right, but it was made during WWII, from 1943 to 1945, by John Inglis & Co. in Canada for the Canadian and British Armies.

Here's some info on the Browning HP:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg17-e.htm
  6. The Hi Power is THE classic 9mm SA/DA auto pistol. I know I would have a hard time passing it up if the price was close to reasonable.
  7. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

8. Vakarian

Vakarian New Member

Thanks for the responses fellas, youv basically answered all my questions in less then a day, which was taking me weeks to gather myself.

Ill get it.

Btw incredible forum, when i finally get the gun ill be back with decent pictures this time to show it off. Any forum section inparticular i should go to do that, or same place as here?
  9. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

The HP is not DA/SA. It's single action only, and a damned fine gun.
  10. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Thank you for the compliment.....and this Forum is as good a place as any to "show it off". :)