Browning Medalist?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Ferrethunter, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Ferrethunter

Ferrethunter New Member

Hello All,
    New member here, and new to .22 target shooting. Have an oppurtunity to purchase a beautiful 1963 Browning Medalist in mint cond. Purchase price in the $700 range. Any thoughts on pro's and con's?
    Pistol comes with original display case, full weights/tools, extra mag (not sure if original Browning but would bet money it is), manual and good looks. Very little use since been in collectors hands for most of it's life.

My intent is to spend time at the range, not so much staring at my pistol. I know that you can purchase a decent shooting pistol for much less, but these beauties don't show up everyday and thought I might kick myself if I passed it up.

Thoughts?
    Thanks alot.
    Ferret.
  2. Tracker

Tracker New Member

Welcome. Guns and Ammo may 2005 has a great write-up on the history of the Browning Medalist. Nothing but praise on it's accuracy. Go to their site and read it--you'll be happy with your new purchase.
  3. Ferrethunter

Ferrethunter New Member

Thanks Tracker, for the kind words. I purchased it today (and saw it for the first time in real life). It truly is beautiful! It feels good, and man, I love that heavy look barrel. It makes the gun completely different from most.
    I have a feeling it will stay with me for many many years. In fact, I can see how easy it is to get bit by the 'old gun' bug, since the quality and craftsmanship/woodwork is something you don't see much today.
    Any thoughts on other 'beautiful' guns, both in terms of smooth quality action and looks? I'm completely new to this sort of thing, but I think I'll start looking at old gun mags for some ideas.
    Thanks again for your comments, and hopefully when I have the pistol, I'll send some pics in for posterity.
    Ferret.
  4. Tracker

Tracker New Member

Hey--no problem. I also have a thing for the older guns. Have a few pistols from the early 1900's, single and double shotguns from 1897. If you have a decent library, that a great place to get info on them. Keep your eyes and ears open--it is amazing what you run across. I was having a conversation with a guy, said he had some old guns, went and looked at them, by the time the conversation was over he " gave " them to me--said he had no use for them. Two 22 rifles from the 50's and a single barrel shotgun from the 40's. Cleaned them up, took to the range--worked fine. Couldn't believe it.
  5. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

YO FH, nice buy U didn get taken they can go 100-150 higher with no problem...best lookin semi EVER bilt in my not so humble opinion but watta I no, broken down dubblecluttcher frum joisey. wot next?? a colt ace rates hi in ma book, not reely target but super sharp, co;t match target woodsman (2nd or 3rd gen) xtreemli nice, the first gens R outta site in top condition. yar suma deze dudes 'l teel ya ruger bot wotta they no :cool:
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Churite dummi, chuno nonutin, dum grinko! :D :D :D
  7. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

like uzze a roket syantsst U dummie wetbak chippflipper
    borderjumpim beeanbandit. jus stsput inda no dalls foty an u mebbe stasaf. :cool:
  8. Ferrethunter

Ferrethunter New Member

Holy cow, hope that I haven't stirred up the 'Joisey boys too much!!
    Again, thanks to all for those 'next' purchases recommendations!! I got some research to do, and see where I can squeeze a few pennies from the ol' wallet!
    I go pick up my Medalist today, so you know there's going to be some cleaning and oiling, drooling and public displays of affection (well, probably not too public)!
    Thanks again, and hope to stay in touch with you all.
    Ferret.
  9. Tracker

Tracker New Member

Don't Drool on it to much, or you'll spend all your time cleaning, and no time shooting.
  10. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

He is allways like that, sniffed too many diesel fumes you know.
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I believe that's clutch dust, not diesel! ;) :D :D
  12. Bill

Bill New Member

Me thinks you did well getting the Medalist with display case for $700. I'd never consider letting my go at that price. My Medalist shoots like a dream. The barrel weights are very effective, making it oh so easy to squeeze off rapid fire shots accuraely. I like everything about this gun. I think it the best looking non custom .22 auto pistol ever made. It's great that it shoots so nicely too. My favorite pistol and I have owned many.
    Bill
  13. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

(Holy cow, hope that I haven't stirred up the 'Joisey boys too much!)

haw!! liked them2 cud eva B a joiseyites. lemme straten uuze out, we aint got an attitude, joisey IS ATTITUDE, an if'n (a lil sothn talk) U aint from here U aint got it.

So, git down
    2 or bak acros da bordr whsheva cums 1st an leeve "things" 2 "us"

IB donwana hafta "takearide" capeesh? :cool:

aladis frum an inocen lil post bout the bes dam dubbledeauce auto evabilt----woodeye kid U?? :cool:
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  14. jiml

jiml New Member

Hi guys,
    Just purchased a Browning Medalist, box and the whole ball of wax. I saw it at the gun shop and just had to have it. Can any one tell me if Browning will send me a history of this gun, date made, sent where, like Colt does? Or does any one know where to get this info? I have never done any target shooting but plan to. All I know about this gun is that it is the best looking gun I have ever seen. It was love at first sight.
    Jiml
  15. jiml

jiml New Member

can anyone help, I would like to purchase a original owners manual or if that is not possible a copy will do. I purchased a medalist but it dosn't have a manual. So I don't even know how to take it apart to even clean it. So if somebody outthere can help it will be appreciated.

Jim

My E Mail is jawalow@verizon.net