The Firearms Forum banner

Browning pump shotgun question

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  fourniermod11 
#1 ·
I have BPS stalker bought new about 15 years or more ago.The choke is stuck in the barrel (at least I can't get it out).I tried a few years ago to change the choke to full for a duck hunt and I couldn't get it out.99% of the time I use it for doves and quail and it works great.I am use to the pattern and distance I have.I'm thinking I should just leave well enough alone (no duck hunts in my future).My question is that there are 3 notches in the end of the choke, isn't that the Improved Cyl. designation? It bothers me that the choke is stuck but on the other hand I don't want to damage the gun removing it for no good reason. Likely a stupid question as I know the answer is likely "leave it and shoot it." THANKS Joe

#5 ·
Thanks guys, the 3 close together nothches is what I was refering to that Boris said is modified. I can't find my choke wrench from the last time I tried to remove it.Nor can I find my other 2 choke tubes now.Is the Browning wrench Browning specific?I know of a gunsmith that could probably remove it, should I go back with Browning chokes or one of the many aftermarkets? Joe

#6 ·
I use Carlson's Invector Plus choke tubes in my BT-99. They are extended and easy to get out. Soak the end of the barrel in Hoppes #9 and WD40. It worked on my sons Mossberg 500 choke. Choke wrenches are cheap. In a pinch you can use a quarter.

#7 ·
Get a crank handle choke tube wrench for it. Chances are it was installed with little or no choke tube lube and the threads are just stuck.

#8 ·
Yep what Josh said or spray down with some kroil and let it sit then add a little heat with a torch. Right when the kroil starts to boil, stop and try to loosen them. If you have a FO on the front, remove it first. Sometimes they are just so bad they are rusted in place and they have to be reamed out and the threads chased with a tap.

#9 ·
Thanks all.Since it was my first shotgun with removeable chokes I know I didn't use choke lube.I think I'll wait till after dove season to mess with it since this stuck choke works great for them.Hopefully it will come out by soaking only.If not a little heat will be tried and hopefully it will come out w/out bringing part of the barrell with it.One last question,it is right hand thread isn't it?One more,is there a tool that fits into all four notches for better grip or only the bar type that only fits into 2 ? Joe

#10 ·
accident:

There is a neat tool that fits the notches perfect and has a crank on it. I bought one years ago at a shotgun range. Try Midway (???). Heat and a penetrating oil will probably get it out if you use the crank choke tube tool.

When you re-install it put anti-seize compond on the choke tube threads and this won't happen again.

The marking systems for the chokes vary between some manufacturers and between European and American made guns. The instruction manual may have the chart. If you no longer have the instruction manual you may be able to download it from Brownings web page or get a printed example from them. I think by law they have to provide one if you ask for it.

LDBennett

#11 ·
Thanks again L.D. I found it at brownell's."Briley choke tube speed wrench". $28.99. It did not list that it fits Browning.This may be a stupid question but do all wrenches fit all gun makes? Is the notch pattern and diameter standard? This is the wrench I believe Josh was refering to. Thanks Joe

#12 ·
No, one wrench does not fit all chokes. You have to get the one for your manufacturers choke tubes. Unless it says specifically it fits your gun's chokes then you must contact Brownells or Briley to be sure which one will fit.

Browning shotguns are not all that popular compared to Remington, Mossberg, and Winchester. As they can be made in America, Europe, or Japan, depending when they were made, the choke tubes could be entirely different. Did you check to see if Browning offers the wrench or go to Briley's site to see if they list your gun and its appropriate wrench?

LDBennett

#14 ·
Thanks L.D. and thanks for the site gvw3. I was having some trouble negotiating their site trying to find what I wanted. Joe

#15 ·
After reading this I just pulled all my shotguns out and removed all chokes and cleaned them. Put some gun oil on the treads and put them away. I remember how hard it was to get the choke out of my sons Remington.

#18 ·
I guess it's the same as the silver or bronze permatex anti-sieze I used on cars? Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.