The Firearms Forum banner

Browning SA 22 Help needed

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Alpo 
#1 ·
Hello all, as you can see I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I am needing some help. I purchased a Browning SA22 today and need help figuring out where it was made. I was told it was a Belgium, but cannot find any markings saying it is or isn't. On the right side of the barrel it says: "Caliber .22 Long Rifle" and "Browning Patents" under that. On the left side of the barrel it says: "Browning Arms Company Morgan, Utah & Montreal P. Q.". From the research I have done it should have Made in Belgium or Made in Japan under that, but this one does not have anything under "Browning Arms Company Morgan, Utah & Montreal P. Q." Can anyone help me out? Last 3 digits in serial number are "T47". If you need pictures or anything let me know and I will try to get them to you guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
If your gun was made after 1958, a lot can be told from the serial number.

The WHOLE NUMBER. Not just the last three. Not the first and then some xxxxx and the last three. All of it.

If you don't want to post your whole number, I understand, but what you gave ain't enough. The serial, if it's a series of letters and numbers, will tell WHERE it was made, THE YEAR it was made, and the number of the gun THAT YEAR.

#4 ·
I don't know. It does NOT fit the data. If the short number was first (and switched, so it was 74, not 47) that would make sense. It would be a "made in 74 gun, Model T, serial number 36026" (see section 1968 to 1975)

If it had TWO letters, it could be a post-75 gun, made in Japan. "SN 36026, year code (TWO LETTERS, not just T), model number 47.

But, as I said, that number does not fit the data. I don't know what the heck you've got. Sorry.

Dating Browning Firearms Post 1958 Manufacture

This dating system is for Browning firearms manufactured after 1958. Most early Browning serial numbers contained no date or model information and can not be dated using this system.

1958 to 1968 - The last digit of the year was used. (Code "8" is duplicated for 1958 and 1968.)

Example: Serial number 8G12345:

8 = Year of manufacture (1958)
G = Model
12345 = Serial number

1968 to 1975 - The last two digits of the year was used,

Example: Serial number 69B12345:

69 = Year of manufacture (1969)
C = Model
12345 = Serial number

1975 - All product codes were changed to 3 digits and new (letter) date codes were adopted.

Example: Serial number 151RT1234

RT = Year of manufacture (1976)
151 = Model
1234 = Serial number

1975 Information Sequence
European and U.S. manufactured firearms:
Product Code -Year - Serial Number

Japanese manufactured firearms:
Serial Number - Year - Product Code

1975 Date Codes
Z = 1
Y = 2
X = 3
W = 4
V = 5
T = 6
R = 7
P = 8
N = 9
M = 0 / 10

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.