Browning SA-22 Scope Mounting Help

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by gg42, Feb 24, 2012.

1. gg42

gg42 New Member

Hi,
    I have a Browning SA-22. With the Browning scope base/rings and a scope mounted on the rifle you are supposed to be able to remove the barrel with the scope leaving the scope zero intact.
    With everything mounted on the rifle, I am not able to remove the barrel. The scope base does not allow the barrel to properly align when twisted the requisite 1/4 turn. The barrel ends up slightly cocked and will not come off. The scope/base must be removed to allow removal of the barrel.
    Contacting Browning, they say that the barrel cannot be removed with the scope mounted - contrary to the owner's manual. They also say that the nylon-tipped screw in the rear of the base is only to stabilize the scope. With this screw in contact with the receiver I am afraid that it will mar it when attempting to remove the barrel with the base/scope mounted (if this is possible).
    Any thought and/or suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.
    GCG
  2. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

I have a Browning Semi-Auto chambered for the .22 short that I bought about 35 years ago. I also have the Browning .22 scope mount made for this little rifle. It is mounted on the barrel over the rear sight dovetail slot. It extends back over the receiver and has a small pad at the end that rests on top of the receiver. I cannot remember what I was thinking at the time but there is a small dot of some kind of plastic material under that pad and at a couple of points under where it is fastened to the barrel. I have no problem taking the gun apart but does require a firm twist to realign the lock. I think that threaded collar on the barrel is supposed to allow some adjustment for that.
  3. gg42

gg42 New Member

Thank you for your reply. I think you are correct in that the barrel on my gun may now be too tight a fit to the receiver. It was loose and I tightened it very snug. I plan to loosen it and see if that helps.
    Does the nylon-tipped stop screw mar your receiver when you remove the barrel/scope assembly?
    Thanks again.
    gg42
  4. Charles Christensen

There are no marks but the pad barely touches the receiver.
  5. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Where and how?

I have a 1917 (?) version that is a former shooting gallery rifle that has some very minor "play" when assembled..
  6. Charles Christensen

I don't know. It has been a long time since I played with it and our guns may be too different. Mine is only about 35 years old. I'll have to get it out and look at it. Maybe some pics too.
  7. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I'll do the same this weekend (I work remote from home). It's really old, it was Mom's gun, and already old when I was very little. Neat rifle! It's also a 22 short.
  8. Charles Christensen

OK, I did a close look at my Browning but I don't think a pic of it will do you any good. However I did scan in the section of the manual that details the adjustment procedure. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      269.2 KB
      Views:
  9. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Thank you! I"ll have to pull it down and take a close look.