Browning Semi-Auto Shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Poppypaul, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Poppypaul

Poppypaul Member

My Friends:
    A friend has a Browning semi-auto shotgun ser # A154xx, 16 gage, 2 3/4 inch shells that he is interested in selling to me. It appears to be in fair condition but has not been fired in some time.
    Can anyone tell me the model of the gun and also what would be a fair offer I could make on it? I do not know much about shotguns but it seems that 16 gage is an odd gage. There does not appear to be much ammo on the shelf for this gage. Is this gage not desireable for some reason?
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

If it is a "Sweet 16" it is worth a lot more than a regular A5, in 16 gauge..

Can you post some pictures?

You are correct that 16 gauge is not popular in the USA. Here it is mostly 12 or 20.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  3. Poppypaul

Poppypaul Member

Hammer: I do not have photos since I do not have the gun. How can I tell if it is a sweet 16? Can the date of manufacture be determined from the serial number?
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

From 1949 on, it was marked " Sweet 16 " on the left side. 16 gauge is no longer a popular round and is getting harder to fine on the shelves. It can be ordered but the selection is limited. If you are buying it to shoot you may ( unless the price is right ) want to reconsider.
  5. Poppypaul

Poppypaul Member

Thanks. When I saw it I did not see a gold trigger. I read somewhere that if it is pre 1949 the sweets had a gold trigger. So I am presuming it is not a sweet 16. Based on that and the fact that it is an odd caliber and the fact that ammo is somewhat limited what would you guess would be a fair price assuming it is in fair condition and it functions?
  6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

my walmart still sells 16ga shells.

you can find anything you want in 16ga online.. slugs, buck, shot.. etc...

i have both a 16 and a sweet 16. like them both better than a 12.. less shoulder tenderization. IMHO.. I like my light twenty even better.

soundguy
  7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

look on the gun itself to see if it is actually designated a sweet 16. if so it's worth a small premium.

as for value.... hiy ********* and gunsamerica / Auction arms..

i've bought auto 5 cloes from 100-200$ and real a5's from 150 - 400 depending on what they were and what condition.

i actually think my fav are 2 a5 'clones' store branded models..not wards or sears. but um.. western something maybee... ( westerfield? er.. something) I like them as much as my 12g a5's especially since they onlty cost 100-120$ :) good old double recoil shotguns.

I collect a few of the variants. rem 11/12 the widowmaker.. etc. even have an old FN model in an odd chambering..

for a while, the pawn shops and gun shows were unlaoding a5 and clones like crazy. I must have got a dozen of them a few years ago.. mostly paying cheap money around 100-120$ except for a couple nice nice belgium ones... might have a jap bb'ld one as well... can't remember..