Browning Shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by believerjoe, Feb 18, 2006.

1. believerjoe

believerjoe New Member

I need help. I have what seems to be a very old Browning shotgun. It was passed down through the family, but I want to know more info about it.

It is an automatic shotgun.

Barrel reads Browning Brothers Company Ogden Utah.
    Acier Special (some other markings - appears to be PV or something).
    It is marked 12 GA (it is a 12 guage shotgun).

Also marked with Fabrique Nationale ......

What I think to be the model number is 61156 (on the bottom of the gun, in front of the trigger).

The butt plate has a big FN logo on it.

I can take a picture of it and post later if none of the above helps.

My guess is that it is an A-5, but I have no idea what age.

I want to frame it and would like to put a description with the gun. THanks.
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Your gun is an A-5 made in 1927 in Belgium by Fabrique National. The 61156 is the serial number.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

The Blue Book gives a manufacture date of late 1923 for serial # 61156......which, according to the Standard Catalog of Firearms, is the first year the Browning A5 was sold in the United States.

Designed by John Moses Browning, the A5 was in almost (except for 1915-18 and 1941-43 - World War I & World War II years) continuous production from 1903 to 1999 by Farbrique National. The A5 was maufactured in FN's Herstal, Belgium plant from 1903 until 1976, when production was switched to Miroku in Japan from '76 to '99.

From 1911 until 1948, a Browning-licensed version of the A5 was manufactured by Remington as the Remington Model 11 shotgun.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Well then the Proof House is wrong again! Here is what they say....

5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

It's very confoooooozing Tex. One place says this.....the other says that. Blue Book says one thing, Proofhouse says another.....??????? :confused:

Here's what the Browning Co. website says.....

"1903-1939 First 10,000 shipped to U.S. Marked with "BROWNING AUTOMATIC ARMS CO. OGDEN UTAH-U.S.A." Very few serial number records remain. Beginning with Serial Number 1 to approximately 228,000. Exact production figures are not available. Year of manufacture on Pre-World War II production is strictly a guess." http://www.browning.com/services/dategun/detail.asp?id=13

Soooooo.....believerjoe....welcome to TFF and welcome to the confusing world of trying to date guns by their serial numbers!!! :p

Your shotgun is most likely a Browning A5 that was probably, possibly, maybe, made between 1902 or 1903 and 1939 and came to the U.S. some-how-or-other. :)

In any case, you have a wonderful, beautifully-made shotgun, designed by the greatest firearms inventor who ever lived (even Tex will agree with me on this!), John Moses Browning.
  6. believerjoe

believerjoe New Member

Well,

I do appreciate the help. I have done more research myself and I guess I found out about the same thing. I can at least put a date range on a plaque.

THanks for the response.
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Glad to at least give it a try, believerjoe!
  8. idavidson

idavidson New Member

I have a Browning A5 shotgun with serial number X10855. Can anyone tell me the model and year manufactured? Thank you!