Browning superposed

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by b79holmes, Aug 2, 2009.

1. b79holmes

b79holmes New Member

If you came across one at a good price ($1,000-$1,500) for a shooter would you buy it? Besides the salt cured wood from 1968-74 are there any other problems to be worried about? Are they basically indestructible?

Could a trap or skeet version be worn out?

I have been reading a regional shooting site for a few years and in one week there are 4 for sale!

I have a Citori, and one of my childhood dream guns, a BHP.

Would you go for it or am I better off with something more modern, a newer Browning, a Beretta, or something else?

Thanks,
    Bill
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Too low of a price to be decent shooters unless your really lucky and they
    don't know what they have.
    Remember that you can't shoot steel shot in them. Some one not knowing any better may have and erroded the barrel.
    Most superposed (like my grandfathers pigeon grade) are just wall hangers. They are worth way to much to be shooting these days. He put thousands of rounds though his back in the day 60-70's, never a problem.
  3. b79holmes

b79holmes New Member

So you think anything that is in good working order has too much collector value to use it? I thought only unfired NIB's had true collector interest.

Seeing 4 pop up for sale on the same web site (3 from the same dealer) was interesting. I'd think a trap or skeet model may still be usable but I see your point, I don't want a wall hanger so would need an independent gunsmith to examine anything that old (prior to 63) that I'd want to shoot.

Thanks,
    Bill
  4. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

You can find very nice superposed guns in that range, not hard to find. If they lock up tight, they work. They can be reworked too.
    Trap guns would not scare me in the least, most were very well maintained.
    Saltwood guns don`t scare me either if you know what to look for.

Rare configurations, cased sets, caliber sets are big money.
    If it looks good, buy it....shoot it and enjoy.

GHEESH!