Browning Sweet 16 (X71317)

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Becket Jones, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Becket Jones

Becket Jones New Member

I have done a little research on my own, and all I have really figured out is that no one can seem to get a handle on Browning's Serial Number System.

Either way - I have four Browning Sweet Sixteens (they all say "Sweet Sixteen" on the left side and have art stenciling all over the barrel, stock and trigger). Two are in mint condition in a safe, and the other two I still use for pheasant hunting every year. All the serial numbers are within 100 of each other, so I will just put one up here - I would like to know the year and approximate value of the guns if anyone has a clue. I don't intend to part with them, but I have heard everything from $250 to $2250 and have no real clue of their actual value.

St. Louis, Mo (left hand side of barrel)
    Serial Number - FN - X71317

Three out of the four (and one of the mint condition guns) have full chokes. The two that are not in mint condition do not have any rust, but the stock has been chipped over the years. I know the guns have been in my family for a minimum of 40 years, as they were the guns my father and his brothers used to hunt pheasant as kids.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Becket
  2. Becket Jones

Becket Jones New Member

I guess as an addition to this - the guns that are in mint (or near mint condition) have 95-99% of their original bluing. One of the guns was never used, and from my understanding, the other, which has the choke, was used just once (standard hunt - so probably went through 15-20 shells).
  3. Becket Jones

Becket Jones New Member

I will try to have some pictures up by this time tomorrow. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Becket
  4. guns4life

guns4life New Member

LOOK ON *********.COM SEE WHAT OTHERS ARE SELLING FOR
  5. Becket Jones

Becket Jones New Member

Unfortunately, I don't know what *********.COM is. I can find websites that have similar guns, but I haven't been able to put a year on it as of yet, and again the prices range from marginal to a little outlandish depending on who posts what.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

*******.com is a auction site but we don't generally mention it here. The key is to find one on the auction site and see what it is selling for, not for what the person is asking. Thats were the outlandish pricing comes from. If there is actual bidding on it and the auction is coming to an end, you can see what people are willing to pay for them. manufacture dates play a role but only on certain models, I don't think the Sweet16 is one of those.