The Firearms Forum banner

Browning Sweet Sixteen

7K views 26 replies 4 participants last post by  Paul Curtis 
#1 ·
I am looking for some help gathering info on a shotgun passed down to me from my grandfather. I have a Browning Sweet Sixteen serial # A3xx. It has the FN logo on the butt and a vented barrel. The barrel is stamped "BROWNING ARMS COMPANY ST. LOUIS Mo". An FN in a circle is stamped above the serial number under the reciever. The barrel is also stamped with "MADE IN BELGIUM" and also shows some PV as well as an EG in a cirlce under a crown. The gun still shoots very well and other than some minor rust on the butt looks great. Looking to help trace history/age of gun and an approx. value. Its priceless to me so not looking to sell just would like to know more about it. On a side note I have a Browning 12 gauge from my other grandpa with very similiar features serial # 4175xx. Any and all help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
"Minor rust on the butt?"" You don't want either a rusty bore, or a rusty butt- but as the butt of a shotgun, and rifle, is wood with either a black logo plastic or Bakelite buttplate, or possibly a recoil pad, wood, ruuber and plastic don't usually rust- the two screws that hold the buttplate in place might-- The first series of Belgian made Browning 16 gauge shotguns were the std. weight- some with solid ribs, and were chambered for a 2 & 9/16" long shell- also the safety was in the front of the trigger guard bow, much as with the M1 Garand and M14 military rifles-- the later browning series- the "Sweet 16" usually had the ventilated rib, as does yours, the more conventional cross bolt push pin safety, and a gold washed plated trigger- and were chambered for the std. 2& 3/4" shell in most cases- Other than your rusty butt / photos please, not only of the butt in question, but the entire shotgun-- your Browning might range in value from $850 to $1200, depending on condition. There is a 16 gauge website for those who adore this "intermediate gauge" neither a 20 or a man's gun, the world standard 12- but many quail and dove shooters of another day loved the 16, and if you like the squared off receiver and the feel of the A-5- the Belgian made ones like yours are the only owns to have- the Japanese made later series, not so much.

#6 ·
no gold plated trigger barrel does state 16 gauge shells 2 and 2/4". After looking at the buttplate it is plastic so your right not rust. Again thanks for all the help, a true gun novice here... first firearms I have ever owned... From what I could research and what threw me for a loop was the letter A on the serial #. From what i could find serial # starting A, B, C (A for 16 gauge, B for 12 and I think C for 20) were actually made by remington in 1940's?

G
#7 ·
Ahh, My favorite of all. You will definitly need pics here because they can range from $300-$2500 by condition, barrel length, round knob stock or not, cracked forearm (common) shotened stock (common) Grade wood, Bluing,Gold trigger etc. most importanly as R-Jay asked, Is it marked SweetSixteen or just 16ga. You also said ther is rust on the butt, the butt is wood and the buttplate is plastic, Do you mean the receiver? Pictures on this one is a must for any appraisal. Can't wait to see it.

G
#16 ·
It is a shooter, Collectable interest is to say the least questionable. it has been re-blued and not a good job on details, The Cutts compensater ruined barrel as far as collectable, A grove has been relined in the round knob stock which hurts. Looks like a restock barrel in the pic but I cannot make it out. it is a shooter, load it and have fun with it and think of grandpa $400-600 IMHO

#22 ·
OH WOW... thank you so much, you really made my night, and I found out more info tonight than a couple of weeks researching. Seems to be a pretty popular gun in history and I am that goofy guy who is into the history of things, especially something passed down to me. Its kind of crazy to me I recieved a browning from each grandfather one lived in Kansas the other in swamps outside of New Orleans. Any advice on cleaning gun after use? Again very novice firearms owner...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.