Browning X-Bolt Scope Mounts. Brand new here. Need help please.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Roger X-Bolter, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Roger X-Bolter

Roger X-Bolter New Member

I heard this is a very helpful forum.
    Just recently got into shooting bolt action rifles and quickly fell in love.
    I ordered a Browning X-Bolt Medallion .30-06 and cant wait to get it.
    I've read that steel bases and steel rings are best.
    I ordered the Warne fixed 1'' medium steel rings but turns out they don't make a one piece Picatinny style rail for the X-Bolt. (They do for the A-Bolt however.)
    Warne said they do have the two piece steel bases for the X-Bolt though.
    I've read the one piece base is preferred over a two piece for accuracy and stability.
    Is this true? Do you have any ideas or suggestions on how to proceed?

Thank you.

Roger X-Bolter
  2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Hi Roger Welcome to TFF :)
    The X-bolt has scope basses that are made by Browning they are the X-lock mounts.
    These mounts are made just for this gun for Browning and you should use them they have a 4 screw mount system(for each base).
    You can get them from browning.
    The receiver is pre-drilled (or so I am told) for these and the bases are one piece(base and rings).There are 2 but each one is a base and ring together in one piece.
    So have fun with you new gun.
    Mike
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Many companies make correct bases for the Browning X-Bolt rifles. Your choice of Warne rings and bases(?) is a valid and a good choice.

Concerning one piece bases adding to stability and/or rigidity as opposed to two piece bases. Thak a look at the amount of steel in your X-Bolt's receiver. Now look at the amount of steel in a one piece weaver or picatinny base. I do not believe it can be seriously argued that a thin piece of steel, attached by screws to the top of the receiver, can significantly add to the rifle's stability or to its rigidity.

I'd say, go with the Warne two piece bases (if you are committed to Warne rings) and enjoy your rifle.
  4. Roger X-Bolter

This is good to know. Haven't received my rifle yet as I ordered it from Buds.
    Gonna check out the Browning site and try to get pricing on the above mentioned.
    Thanks Mike.
  5. Roger X-Bolter

I'm new to bolt action scoped rifles. Is the two piece system more difficult to boresight? Should I have a gunsmith do it?
  6. Popeye

Popeye New Member

The type of modern scope mounting system used has minimal effect of the ease or difficulty of boresighting a rifle.

If you are planning on hiring a smith to mount your scope, have him boresight it as well.
  7. Popeye

Popeye New Member

If I remember correctly, Browning branded X-Bolt bases and rings are made by Talley.
  8. Roger X-Bolter

Thanks Popeye. I'll make sure I eat my spinach too. ;)
  9. Roger X-Bolter

Interesting....thanks.
  10. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I would wait till the gun comes in and see if it is already drilled and tapped for the x-lock system if it is then you should use them(no reason to add more holes to your receiver) if not use any one you like but have a smith drill and tap unless you are ok to do it yourself.
    They have to be centered and lined up so you scope is centered and lined up.
    You also might want the rings lapped.
    Mike
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012