The Firearms Forum banner

Brunswick Stew

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
This stew will feed a small army so you may want to recruit a few friends to help out with the cooking and eating. I have always cooked this in a cast iron wash pot over an open fire but would probably be faster if a few things were cooked beforehand. Use your own judgement. If you are fortunate enough to have leftover stew, after feeding said army, put in freezer bags and use later. Being a true Son of the South, I have tried every Brunswick Stew known to man and this one is the best IMHO.
As a side note, I do recommend cooking the Pork, Chicken and Lima Beans beforehand .
So, give yourself plenty of time as this will be an all day event. But is well worth the effort involved.

Brunswick Stew

3 5# Chickens & Broth ( cook and chop) * 7.5 #
7# fresh Pork (cook and chop) * 3.5#
4# Okra ( optional)
4 cups Lima Beans ( cooked) * 2 cups
2 gal Tomatoes * 1 gal
#3 onions ( chopped) *1.5 #
5 unpeeled Lemons ( cut into pieces) * 2.5
3 sticks Butter ( cut into cubes) * 1.5
1 lg bottle Catsup * 1/2 bottle
1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar * 1/4 cup
3 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce * 1.5 tsp
2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce * 1 tblsp
1 lg bottle Heinz 57 sauce * 1/2 bottle
1/2 cup Honey ( wait until done and taste, then add more if needed) *1/4
1/2 gal cream style Corn * 1/4 gal
1/2 gal whole kernal Corn * 1/4 gal

Boil Chicken in water to cover. Save broth & use in mix. Bone and cut into cubes
Boil Pork in water to cover ( do NOT use broth) I use a fresh ham or picnic ham ( bone, cut up and drain)

Mix all ingredients, except the corn, with the broth in a large pot and cook. Add corn, simmer until rich and thick. water can be added if too thick.

Salt and Pepper is optional Taste before adding at end of cooking.

As with any soup or stew, this is even better reheated the next day. Reheat slowly for 2 hours or so.

* = half

There you have it. The best Brunswick Stew on God's green earth. I hope you enjoy it. :)

See less See more
#6 ·
There used to be this big cowboy shoot in Gainesville Georgia, up 50 miles or so above Atlanta. Shootout at Mule Camp. Three-day event, Memorial Day weekend. And one of the big things was the Friday night barbecue dinner.

Cowboy shooters would come from all over the country - hell, some of 'em come from different countries.

The dinner, and it was an all-you-can-eat, was pulled pork, beans, taters and brunswick stew. Sweet tea and garlic bread, o'course - this WAS Georgia.

So I'm working on about my third plate-full, and this guy across the table looks at my almost empty bowl, and looks at his full bowl, kinda doubtfully, and says, "What is this?"

I said, "Where you from?"

NOTICE: NO ONE FROM THE SOUTH SAYS "YOU AIN'T FROM AROUND HERE, ARE YOU?" NOPE. THAT'S SOME CRAP SOME YANKEES MADE UP. WE SAY, "WHERE YOU FROM?"

He says, "Ohio. What IS this?"

I tell him it's Brunswick Stew. He said he knew that. He saw that on the menu board. "But what's IN IT?"

I ask him, "Have you tried it?" He says no. I tell him to try it. He takes a spoonful and says, "That ain't bad. But WHAT'S IN IT?????"

I said, "Well, there's corn, and maters. Got some baby limas. Some people add other stuff, but that's basically it. That and the meat."

I wait a beat, and then say, "Squirrel".

He looks at me like I'm looney-tunes, and then looks around at alla them faux cow-folk slurpin' it down like they ain't et in a month, and tries another spoonful, then eats it all, and goes back for more.

When he sits back down, he says, "I ain't never eat squirrel before. This is good".

I said, "Well, you still ain't eatin' squirrel. Since they make it to sell, they can't use game. This is, most likely, pig. But it's supposed to be squirrel."

Yankees are fun. Long as they remember to go back home.

Reactions: greggs and raven818
#7 ·
Sounds good Sam! My only problem is that my largest stock pot is only a 4 gallon pot, and I don't think I have enough pot! I might try cutting the recipe in half again. 1/4 of the original recipe!

#8 ·
Sounds good Sam! My only problem is that my largest stock pot is only a 4 gallon pot, and I don't think I have enough pot! I might try cutting the recipe in half again. 1/4 of the original recipe!
Have they done gone and made that legal in Texas now, too?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.