BSA .303 help required to identify

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Martys1, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Martys1

Martys1 New Member

Gidday all. First post, I have a sporting BSA .303 marked BV BP .303 2.22 N.C41 GRs-215. It also has a few funny markings I cannot recognise, plus it also has the crowns above the BV BP markings. It is well labelled BSA and also labelled made in england on the barrell and on the receiever which is what you would expect from a fire arm from BSA. It would appear to me the the action is a mauser action. Is this referred to as a p14 action? Would any one have any idea of year of manufacture and possible what its worth in fair condition?
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Post detailed pictures. Better info equals better answers.
  3. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Right up front I will tell you that I am absolutely of help to you on this subject. With that being said, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Did you mean to say, "...absolutely of no help"? :confused: :D
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It seems doubtful that it is a P14. The P14 was a Mauser-inspired redesign of the Enfield, but because of WW1, England never really got it off the ground. Vickers made a few, but most P14s were made here in the States, by either Winchester, Remington or Eddystone. Then when we got into the war, we stopped making the 14 and did a redesign to the P17, using our 30/06 service ammo. Doesn't really seem like BSA would have made any.

Pretty fair article on the P14. http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/pattern14/index.asp

This thread might help. From back in March.
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=57483
  6. Martys1

Martys1 New Member

Just to throw a different spin on things Im in New Zealand, I showed this rifle to an old deerculler today whom confirmed it is a p14 Mauser action, I didn't quite get the whole of the story but something about .303 conversions in a hell of a hurry before the war!
  7. Martys1

Martys1 New Member