BSA Martini International MK ii (Karl Kenyon)

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by OKAY, May 27, 2010.

1. OKAY

OKAY New Member

I just purchased this rifle from a friend and am wondering what it may be worth. It is stamped K. Kenyon on the stainless bull barrel. The trigger is so light it must be well under a pound to fire it. I googled it and all the pictures I found have different triggers than the one I purchased. Anyone have any idea what it's worth?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. OKAY

OKAY New Member

3. OKAY

OKAY New Member

Anyone know what this may be worth??
  4. Popeye

Popeye New Member

The rifle has been rebarreled at sometime in its life. It originally wore Parker Hale sights.

I'm guessing it would sell for $400 - $500.
  5. OKAY

OKAY New Member

I was thinking it's worth more like $1000. I have researched these rifles and a good condition origional rifle sells for as much as $1500. This particular rifle has been upgraded. The Redfield sights are actually better than the origional sights that came with the rifle. The trigger and barrel were done by Karl Kenyon who is a very well known gun smith in Nevada. I guess it's worth what ever someone is willing to pay for it. Anyone else know anything about this rifle?
  6. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

I can only go from my experience. About 1987 I purchased a BSA Martini "ISU MATCH" rifle (with a left-handed action) to shoot matches along side my 13 yr old son. I bought it from Jack First's "The Gun Shop" when his shop was in Lancaster Ca. This was a model previous to the "International". It had the original Parker Hale sights, which were difficult for me to obtain rear sight apertures for. I had a machinist (that had worked for Fabrique National) make me an adaptor for an Anschutz variable diopter rear aperture. I bought it for $275. It was in a rack with a number of used Martini MK I and MK II rifles, and since the stock covered much of the model designation I believe that it had been miss priced. A year and a half later, after shooting a number of small bore matches all over Ca., my son wanted to go to something more 'interesting' than position rifle shooting and he and I got interested in trap shooting. (We still shoot trap today) At the last match I shot in El Monte Ca. I sold the rifle to a lady for $800. We both felt she got a good deal. I understand that she took it to a match the following day in San Diego and won with it. It was the finest small bore target gun I ever fired. Mike
    P.S. It was in better shape than the one pictured appears to be.
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  7. GSL

GSL New Member

Your BSA is marked mk2 yet it looks different
    than mine. Yours has a stainless barrel which
    is not factory original. It also seems to have
    many other modifications which alter it's original
    status. If it were original it could be worth slot
    more. My guess would be from 750.00- 1100.00.
  8. grcsat

grcsat Active Member

Hi , Your BSA has been heavely modifed. The sights have been changed along with the barrel. As a collector's piece it don't have much value. However as a target rifle it is worth a lot. These are in my opinion one of the worlds best target actions due to the incredably fast lock time. The action is stronger than enything else in its class and vertully trouble free. They are know to have the lowest matanance of any target rifle.

I own a custum built BSA Martini rife chambered for the 6X47R center fire cartridge .

Forgot. Your trigger looks different because its wearing a modified shoe.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I used those Redfield sights on my 03A3 baack in the 50s while shooting 1000 yard competition. They are, in my opinion, the best of that style. The "triple peep" set up really puts you on target.

Pops
  10. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I sold mine for $1300 ten years ago. Take your time and find a buyer-they are out there.
  11. Nero

Nero New Member

Hi GRCSAT,
    interested that you have a Mk11 in 6x47R.
    Any problems in getting the cartridge around the corner into the breach?
    I have a Mk11 in 17 Mach2, a standard Mk3 and a Mk4 in 22 K Hornet.
    Regards.
  12. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

In my neck of the woods, this rifle would easily bring $1K+.... Don't underestimate Karl Kenyon's work. Especially if he barreled this rifle. His triggers are not that uncommon, and are very highly reguarded. Winchester even offered them as an option on some model 52 target rifles. Usually a modified rifle is not worth what an original is, but in this case I don't think so. Karl's work is that good. Get some Eley Tennex and post up some groups to show us, I'll bet we'd be impressed. All you need now is a 20X Unertl Programmer 200 scope and you would be all set!;):D

Best regards, Kirk
  13. primerate2

primerate2 New Member

These BSA's were marketed by Al Freeland and he set some national records with one. I own one that came from his shop. The problem with them is that the fore arm is attached to the reciever with a steel rod and when you have a sling on it is easy to put differant preasure on that rod. Differant preasure on the fore arm will cause differant preasure on the reciever and the acceracy will change. Karl made the best trigger ever and I have several of them. He once tokld me that his triggers will hold on 2/32 of one oz and not go off. I told him that I thought I could think mine off and he said several other shooters have told him the same thing.
  14. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Mine was an Al Freeland as is my .308 and it had the lightest trigger of any rifle I ever owned.
  15. primerate2

primerate2 New Member

If this rifle has a Kenyon trigger he was getting $400 in 1992 for them. He died last year. That could be a very very good shooting rifle. He had all of his 22 LR barrels built by Gary Schneider and I bet thats a Schneider barrel.
    Nice gun