1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

BSG Biscuits and Sausage Gravy

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by woolleyworm, Nov 3, 2009.

1. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Biscuits first, they're the foundation

2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup Shortening - i use Crisco butter flavor
    2/3 cup milk

variation - throw in some dices jalepenos and a bit of shredded cheddar.

Preheat the oven to 425°F.

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
    With a pastry blender, or two knives cut the shortening into the dry mixture until it has the consistency of coarse cornmeal. Add the milk while gently stirring with a fork. The dough that forms should be soft, but not sticky. You may have to add a little more or less depending on the temperature. Knead the dough on a floured board until smooth. DO NOT OVERWORK! Roll out the dough, or pat it flat. Cut with a biscuit cutter or a glass cup and place on a lightly greased baking sheet about 1 inch apart. This recipe makes about a dozen biscuits about 3 inches across and a half inch tall (unbaked). Bake 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.

8 ounces fresh pork sausage or any sausage you like.
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 1/2 cups half and half or cream
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne less if you don't like too much heat
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder ( fresh garlic and onion is ok too, but i like the consistency of the gravy better when using dried)
    1 dash of Worcestershire sauce, optional, can always be added to taste after serving, but just a tiny bit gives a nice taste.

Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Remove sausage, and drain on paper towels, reserving 3-4 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Set heat to med to med-low flame.
    Whisk flour into hot drippings until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, 1 - 2 minute. Gradually whisk in cream, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened. Stir in sausage, salt, and other spices. ENJOY !

Happy Eating!
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

thanks woolleyworm sounds good never made biscuits but i am going to give it a try if i run into problems i will email u back-thanks again
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

when u roll out the dough or pat if flat how thick should it be before u cut with cutter?
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

usually about 1/2" or so cooks up nicely; if I add the peppers and cheese to the biscuits, I'll go slightly thicker. I just got a ton of peppers last week, so it looks like I'll be doing pepper biscuits and pepper corn bread this weekend :):)