Buckmark Extraction Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

VIPERGTSR01
    (2/6/03 10:23:01 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Buckmark problem
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hi im just wondering if anyone else has had this problem??

i recently bought a browning buckmark target, looks good shoots good and is acurate,

but in about 1 in 100 shots dont eject quick enough and get crushed by the slide??. i first thought it was the ammo so i changed three different types (all standard velocity) and they all do it (none was real expensive ammo though).

i should try better ammo though.
    anyone else come across this?

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/03 2:12:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Buckmark problem
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does this begin to occur with regularity, or does the next round eject OK?

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/03 2:50:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Buckmark problem
    I do a huge amount of shooting my Buckmark in the winter. Same goes for all my semi auto .22's. Fact is the cold weather will affect any oil in the Buckmark or any other semi auto and slow down the action. So if you are shooting in cold weather that could be it. When hunting in the winter I try to keep all oil out of my semi autos. I use solvent or carb or brake cleaner to clean them as it evaporates and leaves no residue.

Just an idea I don't know what part of the country you are in, so this might not matter.

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

VIPERGTSR01
    (2/6/03 7:52:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del buckmark
    Thanks for the reply.

no when it happens it wont happen for about another 100 or so rounds works fine for the next shot, and i live in Australia so its not a cold temperature problem

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/03 9:11:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: buckmark
    Generally the reason for this is that the extractor hook loses tension on the case rim allowing the case to just flop about in the chamber instead of hitting the ejector. Perhaps a bit of powder residue in the extractor channel, who knows.

Sometimes increasing the tension on the extractor will cure the problem. Or, use cleaner ammo. I'd bet that high velocity ammo would not have the problem since it generally has enough rearward momentum to eject even if the extractor is not installed.

G'day!

Edited by: AntiqueDr at: 2/6/03 9:13:27 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/03 9:43:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: buckmark
    Doc`s right on......just fixed a problem on a very early High Standard (really wanted it too) would not shoot more than two rounds without jamming both the spent case and the new round feeding (thats what i was told) filled the magazine and ripped to slide back, shell out-shell in.....continued for all ten. No failures to chamber, nor eject. Loaded ten more went outside......fired all ten...no problems, handed it back and reloaded for owner......it shot twice and jammed. Limp wrist, no a problem with the gun at all......now shoots perfectly for it`s owner. LOL....no charge (family) Would suspect both of Doc`s answers are correct....but don`t forget, shooting a hundred rounds-you might be relaxing your grip; due to fatigue. JMHO

LTS

VIPERGTSR01
    (2/6/03 10:16:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del buckmark
    Thanks for the reply guys

i suspect the ejector, but im not worried about it.
    most times it only just catches the shell which stops the slide closing completely. so it just flick it out and continue