Buckmark guide rod spring retainer reinstall???

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by critterdoc, Nov 9, 2010.

1. critterdoc

critterdoc New Member

I purchased a NIB Limited Edition engraved NRA/John Browning Buckmark 5-6 years ago and decided to field strip, clean, lube & protect it. I watched several Buckmark field strip vids on the web and read the manual and was aware of the caveats about being careful to control the captive recoil spring and not let the spring retainer get away. So much for good intentions. There was a bit more resistance than I expected when lifting the firing pin housing from the slide and as soon as I had it free the spring expanded and I was left with a separate rod, spring and buffer in my hand. There is no carpet in my work room but we were unable to find the wayward retainer with an intense search. I have no clue as to how the retainer could have released itself from the groove in the guide rod when I lifted the assembly from the slide and wonder if the pistol had been assembled without a retainer on day one.

Whatever the case, I have three replacement retainers in transit and am anxious to reassemble the captive recoil spring. Manipulating these parts in anticipation of reinstalling a new retained is a bit tricky and I'm wondering if anyone has any hints on how to best stabilize the assembly with the spring compressed and at the same time snap the spring retainer into the groove.

thanks in advance...
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

critterdoc:

I bought a Buckmark Contour a couple of years ago. It has been to the range a half dozen times. All my guns get cleaned thoroughly after every range session because I have no idea as to when they may get fired again. I have many guns and kind of rotate through them and it may be more than a year between firing of some of them. New guns always get preference (funny that!)

Anyway every time I field strip the Buckmark I fail to capture the recoil spring and the buffer and the guide no matter how careful I tend to be. They end up flying across the garage or the gun room depending on where I choose to disassemble the gun. Finally I bought all those components so I would have them on hand to avoid crawling on my hands and knees trying to find them. In the garage it would be impossible as my garage is, to be nice, cluttered.

People complain about the Ruger MK I,II, & III for reassembly and they would be right but I have often responded that the Buckmark is hard too, mostly because of the time wasted chasing the errant parts. But all the loose parts under the grips is another challenge, especially when you have to pour the gun into the one piece Contour grips. In this process I "lost" the magazine safety strut. Now how did that happen?

Welcome to the Buckmark lost parts club.

LDBennett
  3. Jay

Jay New Member

Consider disassembly and re-assembly with your hands and the gun inside a plastic bag.