Buckmark Target Sights - again!

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by swank, Nov 6, 2009.

1. swank

swank New Member

I'm one of those shooters who owns a 7 1/4" Buckmark Bullseye Target with the factory black sights . . useless to me with my old eyes. Had an Ultra Dot but had to sell it . . now I back to the factory sights.

My question is . . does anyone know of either a white outline or 3-dot sight set for this gun? I'm not looking for nights sights or high viz sights, just white outline or 3-dot to replace the factory black set. Can't seem to find any after a google search . . can anyone help me ?
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

swank:

Fix your eyes not the target sights on the gun. How? Well....

A couple of things help us oldster with old eyes see the front sight clearly. One is to use a pair of reading classes from the drug store so chosen to give you a sharp front sight. Try some on in the store and hold your finger out at arms reach. Try different power spectacles until your finger is noticeably sharp while looking across the room. You may want to compromise and get you finger only a little bit sharper than the background but the experts say the front sight should be the object in focus when shooting pistols.

The other is a aperture device that snaps or suction cups onto your shooting glassed. When you peer through the small hole the sights and the target appear dimmer but both are noticeably sharper. If your eyes are not too bad all three planes will be sharp: the rear sight, the front sight , and the target.

I use both approaches and have for 20 years (an early case of bad eyes, I guess). I tend to use the glass lens approach on rifles and the aperture device with handguns. For the lens approach I have a device that comes with several different lenses that snaps onto my regular bifocal shooting glasses that Olympic shooters use.

When I'm plinking in the canyon with the grandkids I use my progressive lens'ed regular glasses and move my head vertically to get the front sight sharp at the expense of everything else. It works for plinking with handguns.

LDBennett
  3. gazzmann

gazzmann New Member

I use a dab of white out (liquid paper) correction fluid on my front sights.If it rubs off there is plenty in the bottle to replace it.
    It's cheap too.
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

same here, White out works wonders. I have even white outed the bead sights on my BPS.
  5. swank

swank New Member

Thanks for the replys . . I too am a senior citizen and have been wearing progressive lenses (no line bifocals) for years . . tilt head up to see the sights . . tilt head down to see the target . . works ok but the black sights are still hard to see for me, hence my desire for white outline or 3-dot sights. I too have tried the white-out but it's just not the permanent solution that I'm looking for. I'm thinking now of installing some fiber optic sights from Williams Gun Sight . . sold by Brownells (link below). Looks like they may do the trick. Thanks again.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=36204/pid=16337/sku/Fits_Browning_Buckmark__Adjustable
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  6. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

I seen these sights on another thread I don't remember if it was here or another forum. I bookmarked them because I thought they were cool and cheap enough too.

http://www.nitesiters.com/
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

swank:

My problem with the fiber rod sights is that they are just not accurate compared to a good set of target sights. Matching three balls in the sight path is just not accurate enough for me. Same goes for the three white dot sights. The white outline sights have the same problem. Nothing matches putting the square front post in the square cutout of the rear sight for accurate shooting especially when there is only a narrow slit of light coming in around the sides of the front sight blade and the rear notch.

The aperture approach works the best with those target sights (but does not work well with progressive glasses and does work well with bifocals in the far field top part of those glasses). The other thing that helps a lot is blackening the sights with one of the carbide burning smokers. The smoke black is totally none reflective and carbon black. Against a white target the sight picture is amazing. Another help is to make your own targets on the computer with bullseyes X rings that are just the right size to see at your shooting range of interest. If the bull is small and the rest of the target white, it makes seeing the front sight blade in the notch a whole lot easier.

We older folks need all the help we can get!!! Figure out what works for you and it may not be the same as what works for me. But do try using the sights you now have with the aperture, better targets, and maybe even the sight blackening before you go to the trouble of different sights that are less accurate. Also with the progressives don't keep tilting you head back and forth to see both the target and the front blade sharply but find a compromise position for your head that emphasizes sharpness to the front blade with the target slightly fuzzy and leave you head in that position for firing. That's the way the experts say to sight (?).

LDBennett
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009