Bucks Knives ... too!

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by williamd, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

I work at Cutco, and we are one of the few American made knife companies left!! We stay in business because we make a quality product!!!

Oh and by the way we are Union!!! And Damm proud of it!!! The company and the Union work very well together to help keep costs down and to compete. We still do not have to pay a single penny for our health insurance, how many can say that!!

The reason most cutlerys in the United States have closed has nothing to do with the unions, most were non union.

They simply can not compete with the low cost knives made over seas!

They reason they are low cost is because most of their workers work for peanuts, or are basically slave labor to the owners!! You can thank Clinton and the rest of the Democrats for selling this country out to foreign competition.

So easy to use the Unions as scapegoats, what a crock!!!

Oh and by the way Schrade is gone now as well!!!
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  2. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Pa, the fact of the matter is that most unions weren't as smart as your union. There have been a LOT of unions that were run by greedy union MANAGEMENT who acted in THEIR own best interests and not the best interests of the rank and file. It takes a rare breed of union LEADERSHIP to work with a corporation to make sure that both the employees and the employers work out their differences while keeping costs low. Just like it also takes a rare breed of corporate LEADERSHIP to do so.
  3. BM_INC

BM_INC New Member

I totally agree with JohnK3, it's called TEAM-WORK!

No offense (I'm new ok, but what the hay!)

I'm not taking a side here, I vote for the PERSON, I feel best qualified for the job.

But if my memory serves me right, (my MAN) President Ronald Reagan (God rest his sole) BROKE the Air-Traffic Controllers Union, which was just the beginning... am I correct or am I ocompletely off-base?
  4. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

Agreed John.

The greedy unions Lost this area (Eastern Iowa, NW Illinois) Farmall, Case, Caterpillar, etc. Hundreds of good paying jobs are gone, never to be recovered to this area due to the fact that the Union

1.) Saw the company making a profit.
    2.) Decided that if the company was making a profit, they weren't getting paid enough.
    3.) Shot themselves in the foot, and came to work to find locked gates.

They are just now finishing tearing down the Farmall Tractor plant, Rock Island, IL, which survived A World War, A Depression, another World War, a farm crisis, but couldn't survive the Union. The part of the plant that is still standing is being used to store John Deere Planters and Combine Heads.:mad::(
    Disgraceful to go in the plant that produced Farmall Equipment for 100 years, to see the Farmall murals painted on the walls, and Green equipment stored as far as the eye can see.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think every union is evil, bad, greedy, or corrupt, but they lose sight of the fact that the company that they are providing labor for is in business to make MONEY, not tractors, trains, busses, widgets, sprockets, or what ever their product is. Just because the company turns a profit, doesn't mean the union is entitled to it. I believe that a company must treat their employees morally and respectfully, but if someone I work for doesn't, I have the freedom to take a walk. I don't need to cry to a union. I earn advancement based upon my merits, not my seniority. The union that can recognize and appreciate the needs of the company as well as their employees is a rare thing, and PaBooger, it sounds as though you have that, and lucky you. There aren't many left.

These companies are getting tired of demanding, whining, entitlement mentality, lazy, ungrateful employees, and that is why they're moving across the border or overseas. I wish this country still had the work ethic it had 50 years ago.

::::Getting down off my Soapbox::::
  5. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I feel like the whole country has sold itself out.

Ya can't even go to a fight anymore without girl holding up the number each round having a "dot-com" airbrushed on her chest.

People don't care what they're selling you anymore...it's just all about seperating you from your money. They've made a science of making us pay more for less.
  6. williamd

williamd New Member

AMEN! We have screwed ourselves.
  7. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

My last knife purchase was a Kershaw Leek 1660 that has printed "Made in USA" on the blade and the last two before that were made by Jack Sarnik in Riviera, TX. I know they are made in the USA because I watched him make them from scratch out of flat bar stock. Before Jack made me a hunting knife I used a Buck Vanguard for a lot of years, and it gutted out many deer and a few Caribou.
  8. kingcuke

kingcuke Member

The vehement anti-union stuff one sees and hears everywhere is pretty surprising in that only about 12% of the work force is unionized and of that 12% something like 8% is public employees.
    The same greedy corrupt type-a personalities that ruined unions are the same ones that have ruined most big corporations.
    Union labor was never as costly as the detractors would have one believe, and did end things like child labor and start things like weekends off, safety, health insurance and a rise of the middle class.
    The fact of the matter today is the American worker is not important to the global economy and multi-national corporations owe no loyalty to any country.

"It is pretty obvious that the debasement of the human mind caused by a constant flow of fraudulent advertising is no trivial thing. There is more than one way to conquer a country."
    Raymond Chandler

That said I still see a few made in USA Bucks at the local Farm & Fleet maybe I should of bought that on sale one.
  9. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I have supported the unions several times right her on this forum and I will til the day they plant my sorry carcass. It wasnt the Unions that broke the American workforce it was the corporate (PG13)'s. That beeing said there is no doubt in my mind that there have been some currupt members of some of the Unions but for the most part what they done and what they stood for up until Reagan the Unions was a good thing. In the 80's the Union Jobs was the ones to have. But we started to see a loss of popularity in the mid to late 80's. What killed the US work force was NAFTA and that sewage Clinton shoved down our throat and along came Baby Bush to seal the deal.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Big ugly, you are mostly right, IMHO. I have belonged to many Unions over the years, and have been steward, and chief steward for some of them. But while I was a member of the IBEW at AT&T I was laughed out of a meeting hall one night for suggesting that we take a cut in pay to keep our jobs. You see the Union wanted more pay for it's members, even though the Company had already told us that they were thinking of moving to Thailand, or Singapore. The Union stuck to it's guns, and demanded more hourly pay. AT&T closed the doors to the Shreveport plant, and the plant in Ind. Over 10,000 jobs were lost in short order. I know about the history of AT&T and our Government, and I know that this did not help us any, but the Union is what drove AT&T from America. Realizing that they could make a lot of money by moving over seas, and could avoid the U.S. Government's involvement, and get away form the Unions.
  11. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

My latest purchase is a Kershaw 1660 and that says made in the USA on the blade and was reasonably priced. I don't know what their labor status is but whatever it is they are handling it correctly.