budget .308

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Jonathan Metelski, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Jonathan Metelski

Jonathan Metelski New Member

hay i am in the market for a .308 i was thinking the ruger american or savage axis any other ideas. pou is recreational shooter
  2. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

The American has pretty good reviews so far, much better than the Axis I think, Savage makes some great rifles but the Axis has had mixed reviews, for about $399 the American is supposed to be nicely put together and accurate,
  3. Jonathan Metelski

Jonathan Metelski New Member

4. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

I have an Axis SR in .223, you can get it in .308 as well. The SR model has a threaded muzzle for compensators, muzzle brakes, or even a silencer if your state allows. I think it's a great all around rifle for what it cost.
    Here's a pic.
    http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e101/aarr413/DSCN0875.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  5. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

I vote for the Mossberg ATR or 4X4. Both good rifles with one more round in the mag compared to the Savage. (Plus almost all of my long guns are mossbergs)
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I recently traded off my Remington .308 so I am also in the market for a .308 myself. I have read good things about the Ruger and also did a little research on the Savage. I am leaning toward the Ruger.

I bought a Mossberg ATR .308 a couple of years ago and will never buy another one of those. I reload and I do not reload anything hot, and when I went out to the range with my new ATR, the bolt came apart on the 5th shot. The rifle was sent back to Mossberg and they replaced the bolt. On the next trip to the range, it made it to the 7th round and came apart again. After I got it back from its second trip to the factory, the owner of my local gun shop gave me full credit toward the Remington that I traded last week.
  7. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

With deer season at a start, wait for the sunday paper for the big box sale ads. You should be able to pick a scope/rifle combo at a good price. Just look for the features you want, savage has the accutrigger that is a good feature.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  8. Twicepop

Twicepop Active Member

The Stevens 200 is available in .308 Winchester. It's the same action that Savage uses in their 110 Series rifles. It has a full length tang on the action unlike the Axis that has the trigger and safety mounted to the stock. It's a basic rifle that is very reasonably priced. The local Dunhams has one for $279 plus the Governors share.
  9. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I have an Axis in 308. The stock trigger is only so-so and isn't adjustable. I replaced mine and its much better. Although for what I paid for the trigger plus the cost of the gun, you could get something better. I won mine in a raffle so the trigger was no big deal.
  10. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

I just watched an episode of Gun Talk TV that I had Tivo'd last week, CH 604 on Direct TV, the episode is titled "Long Range Hunting", but mostly it was featuring the Riger American, with a bunch of gun rag writer's/reviewer's etc,

I have to say that regardless of the price, it looks like they built pretty much everything into the gun to make it accurate, nothing for the shooter to add/modify to improve accuracy, also a user adjustable 3-5 lb trigger, the general concensus was that is was an above average accurate rifle out of the box,

I know the shows intent was to promote a sponsor's(Ruger)product, but it seemed to shoot very well and needs no improvements, I prefer wood furniture, other than that, I would buy one, at about $400, seems like a bargain,

If you have the PRST, "Pursuit" channel and the ability to record/TIVO, look for the next replay of it and record it, or have a friend with DirecTV do it for you,
  11. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Got to spend some time with the American rifle at SHOT last Jan. It is a very well built very well thought out rifle for an entry level rifle. They cherry picked the best of all the entry level rifles and put together the best of the bunch.
  12. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

The Ruger American is one of or the best for the $$$$. I also really like the new Savage Hog rifle that they came out with....not sure what it is called at this moment. Not sure what you are going to use this for either I don't remember seeing it mentioned. But, if for hogs that is definitely an option. :)