Buffalo bill handgun

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by dw26, Mar 5, 2010.

1. dw26

dw26 New Member

I just got a small cal. handgun from my mother that used to be my grandpa's. I would like to restore it for her but no one around here wants anything to do with it. The gun was sold by homer fischer co. and it has buffalo bill stamped on the top. I know it's not a valuable piece but would like to get it firing again if possible. If anyone knows anyone that could help me I would appreciate it. The hammer is missing as well as the handle grips. All I know about this gun is it was bought in 1897 it's a 7 shot, spur trigger,single action with a solid frame. Thanks
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Checking my usual sources, I turned up nothing.

Perhaps you can expand just a bit;
    What other markings are on the gun?
    Caliber would help a lot -

And beyond that, some nice clear close-up pictures of both sides, top and bottom, would go a long way toward identification as well -
  3. dw26

dw26 New Member

Terry thanks for checking. I was told it shot .22 shorts the only numbers are on the handle under where the grips should be. 4031 or 4037. I'll try to get some pics soon. Thanks again
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the only notation i can find on "Buffalo Bill" marked revolvers is that it could be manufactured by iver johnson arms & cycle works. if so it will be one of the "defender" single action spur trigger type revolvers. we will really need pictures to tell for sure.
    bill
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  5. dw26

dw26 New Member

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg Here are some pics. sorry it's taken so long i've had some technical problems. The name buffalo bill is stamped directly above the cylinder it's pretty hard to see in the pics.
  6. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

This is quite similar to the Eli Whitney revolvers of the late 1800s. If it is, Dixie Gun works may have parts for it. You can contact them and they may be able to help you. Your gun was probably made around 1875 or so and if you do manage to find the parts to make it shootable, don't shoot anything but CB caps in it. It would probably chamber .22 shorts, but it might put schrapnel in your eye. I don't think it has any real value, but you should avoid doing any cosmetic other than lightly cleaning and oiling it.
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is not an iver johnson. the eli whitney id could be right but the center pin is wrong and most have a strain screw for the hammer spring located in the front of the grip strap. i am not ready to make any guesses as to the manufacturer.
    bill
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  8. dw26

dw26 New Member

I would like to thank all of you for your help! I will try to do some more research at the library and online. If anyone has any other ideas i would like to hear them. Thanks again
  9. 56/50

56/50 New Member

[​IMG] Mine is almost identical and on the top strap says Allen .22 and is a 7 shot and the barrel is 3/4" shorter!! I have all the parts except parts to the cylinder stop, it didn't have one and no where is one available to look at! I'll make one if I have to, I have my own machine shop and have been building parts if I can't find any!! For info. go to "suicide specials" in Bing or Google or contact me through the site! Joe L.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010