Bug Out Bag Ideas

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by CampingJosh, Aug 14, 2008.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Many of us feel the need to keep a set of gear ready "just in case." While everyone's surroundings are sure to be different, many of the gear items will be the same.

For instance, Dyneema and Technora ropes would be a valuable addition to anyone's gear--probably as a replacement for heavier, weaker ropes of nylon or poly.
    Dyneema: 1/4" diameter, 8,400 lbs. avg. tensile strength, 1.7 lbs. per 100 feet of rope, critical temp. 150 degrees Farenheit. More Info
    Technora: 1/4" diameter, 8,000 lbs. avg. tensile strength, 2.2 lbs. per 100 feet of rope, critical temp. 400 degrees Farenheit. More Info

Both ropes are available in a variety of diameters; these were used just as an example. As you can see, Dyneema is stronger and lighter for the same size, but if the rope might be in a high-temperature application, then Technora is the way to go.

What kind of gear do you guys keep "just in case"?
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

In the past when required I would go with two quality torches with extra batteries, one must use AAs because you can get them anywhere, pen and pencil which wont fail or run when wet and note pad, good lock knife min 3" blade pref with serrations, duck tape, nylon cable ties - a few some big some small, good for dozens of things, Good quality sighting compass, local maps and cash. Snack bars, I think you call them granola. A good quality multi tool like a leatherman is very useful. Medical wipes. Light reversible jacket. plastic bags, one large enough to put the BOB inside.

There is more, but it depends on circumstances. I haven't included a weapon, you may need to 'borrow one'.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2008
  3. CampingJosh

My girlfriend thinks I'm eccentric for buying so many flashlights (torches). But they always come in handy, and you never know where you're going to need one.
    I was taught that a person should always have two lights, but one counts as zero, and two count as one, so a person should always have 3 available.

And I like the idea of having a dry bag big enough to hold everything else... I think I'll add that to my kit before I get dinner.

And a multi-tool... I store mine in my BOB when I'm not carrying it, but it spends most of it's time on my belt. It's just handy for life.
  4. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

For the best Bug Out Bag Ideas, the next time time ya have a couple days off, bug out in accordance to your plan for about 24-48hrs.

As far as rope, I keep 550 cord in my bag. (Nothing crazy like rappel gear dangling off; as harmless looking as possible.) And weight...2 pounds gets heavy after a while, especially if you're hurt, sick, tired, dehydrated, or having to assist a weaker person. Weight is an enemy and I make him as small as possible.

Consider some survival gear to be stashed/cached in primary and alternate refuge/hide locations or along your routes. Even in an urban area, renting a small outdoor storage cage in a low security storage lot can work.
  5. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

My bag contains 4, 30 round AK mags, and a Chinese chest pouch, with another 200 rounds on stripper clips.

I figure I can get any other needed items, with the items in that bag:p
  6. CampingJosh

:eek:You could certainly steal the pack off my back!

I'd like to be able to go at least 48 hours (though 96 would be better) without seeing another person--using only items in my bag.

I think I'll have to talk with some backpacking guys I know (I have a friend who through-hiked the Appalachain Trail, and two others who are currently in Vermont, having started from the south end). They should have a pretty keen idea of what is necessary to survive.
  7. CampingJosh

I definitely agree that you want your gear to look harmless. If anything has to be visible, it should be basic camping stuff (cup, sleeping bag, etc.).

And I used the 1/4" diameter ropes as an example... The Dyneema 1/8" (which I think is the same diameter as 550 cord) has an average tensile strength of 2200 lbs and weighs .5 lbs per 100 ft. Pound for pound, it's much stronger (though you certainly pay for it:rolleyes:).
  8. CampingJosh

Another quick question...
    Does anyone have some fishing gear in their bag? I'm thinking about adding maybe two hooks and 50 ft of 20 lb. line. It's a pretty safe bet that I'll be near a body of water if I ever have to bug out, and I can always find something to use as bait.

I'm also thinking that it would be a good idea to keep a very basic bag (no more than 35 lbs.), but also to keep a more extensive setup in the toolbox of my truck. Anybody else do that?
  9. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

Sharpening stones, first aid kit, extra gun and ammo.
  10. delta13soultaker

I've used or seen it used, 550 paracord, for pretty near everything light static/utility rope can be used for with plenty success in several climates. And it is very lightweight and easy to stow....and highly reusable. Astronauts used the stuff on a mission to repair the Hubble.

Dyneema is a promising material, I know. I guess I stick to what I know beyond light work though, and it is expensive. Fast rope is about $2,000 per 90'. Static line is easy $1 a foot, and line for one job in one area may suck in another or during a different season. But really there is no shame in having some $10 per 100' marine utility rope on hand.
  11. CampingJosh

Oh yeah, Delta, I agree. I don't have Dyneema in my gear, and I don't know that I ever will.

If I break the trend of not making much money--and the other trend of spending what little I do make on this one particular young lady--I may be able to afford better toys someday. Until then, I'm looking for the cheap way to do everything.

Alas, I'm just a poor sucker...
  12. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

CampingJosh;
    I have read thread topics such as this and it always poses a question that perhaps you and the others can help me wit. I am absolutely serious but pardon me for asking none the less.
    What would make one bug out and of so to where?
    It is difficult trying to imagine why one would leave their home that can be prepared for defense and survival.
    My only thought would be that I am caught away from home and would have to survive to get back there or to one of the other three places I have previously prepared for both survival and defense.
    Also it appears you are still unattached but for those who have significant others and perhaps children as well are you preparing them to do a part?

I have taught firearms self defense for over thirty years and have helped more than a few people who are very serious about defending themselves and their loved ones and this question is one that I bring up with every one who have others at home to consider in their self defense planning.
    That is why I am serious in learning from others such as you guys the why and where, when the home is the most likely place of all to be in the worst case situations.

Thank you all in advance.

UF
  13. delta13soultaker

One of my mentors used to say, "If it's the only one you got, then it's the best one in the world." He was usually talking about our outdated shooting gear/optics, but I apply that to everything.

Remember too that the job of advertisers and marketing is to convince a logical person that they must have something that they most likely can do without. Man hunted for thousands of years before baths were invented, but pick up a hunting magazine in 2008 and you will believe a hunter with a rifle cannot stalk a deer without $100 of scent control on his truck, atv, clothes, boots, rifle, and ammo. That $100 is better spent on a young lady I say, and the hunter best served not using too much technology to answer a question of skill and craft.

Rope is one of those things that can be tweeked and altered based on whats available. Things you never skimp on are like medical supplies and equipment to secure clean water, re-new power etc.

And skill! Learn a new thing every day, then practice it. I've met a bunch of people while diddling around my interests...and can say there are dudes that could almost equip a casualty collection point with med gear bought from catalogs for the next Y2K, Katrina, St Helens etc, but they can't explain how to properly apply a turniquet. Skill has no weight...you can carry it everywhere....and it can't be taxed:D:D:D
  14. CampingJosh

Uncle Fudd,

First off, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this. I've been... "distracted."

I do see that in many situations bugging "in" would be better than bugging out. However, if it's something that's going to last longer than one day, I need to bug out. I am single, I live in two rooms that I rent (one of which is a bathroom), and I have one friend here within 100 miles. I'm in a town that I don't know particularly well, in an area that I know even worse. Most of my "stuff" is at my parents' house, 250 miles from here. My purpose for keeping a bug out bag is to give me and one other person the materials necessary to get us somewhere to stay longer term (probably her dad's farm).
    And the bag is just as much a bug in bag as bug out... it's just packed in a way that can be used for either one.
  15. kevinleif37

kevinleif37 New Member

my "bug out" bag serves as my "essentials" bag...you have one when you live on an island where you encounter severe flooding, shark bites, centipede/jelly fish stings, cuts from coral, etc......

to include first aid supplies (alcohol, tape, ointments, petroleum jelly, clotter, super glue, bandaids, and plenty of gause, etc)...

...survival supplies (fishing string and hooks, lighter, small knife, compass, rubber bands, sandwich bags, pencils, fire starter, sewing kit, flashlights, few bottles of water, etc)...

...and riot/every man for himself/SURVIVAL survival gear (gerber LFM II knife, extra mag for AR, AK, Glock, 1911, 12 ga., and a few rounds of the 357 mag)

...all in all, it weights in at @20-25 lbs
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2008