Bug out bag

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Appliancedude, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Ok, so up to about a week ago I thought everone who mentioned their bug out bag was probably suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. That was until the California fires happened. Coupling that with Katrina I now figure I owe all of you who have one an appology and am wondering what I should put in one.
    So, what do you have in yours?
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Some categories your BOB should cover:

1.Water and ways to purify water(Can't live without it)
    2.Navigation (Knowing where you are and were)
    3.Weapon (Defense/Hunt for food)
    4.Food (You need this for energy)
    5.Fire (warmth, cooking, water purification)
    6.Shelter (Protection from elements, including clothing!)
    7.Medical (Addressing/ protecting minor wounds)
    8.Signal (To signal/ summon help)
    9.Communications (AM/FM/SW receiver at least)
    10.Tools (knife, flashlight, multi-tool, paracord, etc.)

Appliance...To be honest, building a BOB is like building a house or anything else...It should include things that YOU find necessary to survive.

If a man thinks he'll do just fine building fires and cooking in a little mess kit, then fine, but the next guy may know that he's really not all that good at building fires and will load out with a small stove/fuel.

There as SO many variables and more things will probably come to mind than you can fit in a large pack...Research...Go camping, see what works for you and what doesnt.

Crpdeth
  3. Crp's list is pretty much in agreement with my own. I also include, believe it or not, a couple decks of cards. That may sound frivolous, but cards are small and light and they can fill many boring hours. Besides, if you get lost, all you gotta do is play a hand of solitare . . . someone is bound to come along and tell you to play the black 10 on the red Jack. :D;):p
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

5. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

6. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

The wife and I have our own bags that stay with us all the time small simple things just enough to get us home. Then we have a storm bag with four days of food water and all the necessaries. I also have a couple of
    "we're out of here lockers" I don't want to ever be a refuge but I one day may have to depart the old home stead so I have them in case. I don't, read that as WILL NOT, want ever go to a SHELTER with thousands of others.
    What is your BOB for? how long do you think you will be gone? how many in your family ? do you have a place to go? there are as many reason for a BOB , You have to decide what you need and what is just extra weight.
    Are you going to live off the land for a week ? are is your plan to drive to a shelter. Laugh all you want to but a large container of talcum / baby powder is better then NO BATH AT ALL FOR A WEEK if your in a shelter.
    The camping thing is a good idea or just turn the water and elect. off at your home for two days and make a list of everything you use in just them two days, it will OPEN your eyes a heck of a lot.
    Ron
  7. 358 winchester

oh don't forget a few cans of potted meat it is good stuff:D
  8. And don't forget the beans! ;) :D
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Bleh! What is wrong with tuna? Oh, how about a huge stash of sardines in Louisiana hot sauce? Even the one Lb tins of ham at the dollar store seem okay. :D

Potted meat...I'd rather die! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Crpdeth
  10. Donny, could it be that your distaste for such "delicacies" has to do with your work on TFF? I mean, after all, we Mods and Admins do deal with a lot of <ahem> "SPAMers." :D;):p

Actually, I tend to agree with you on the potted meat. I'll take sardines and crackers any day! :D
  11. 358 winchester

Canned corned beef, spam, or any canned lunch meat, tuna, chicken, as long as you have something. Going without food for two or three days isn't any fun. Having to eat bug and creepy crawly things isn't fun OH it may keep you alive but dang they can taste nasty, POTTED MEAT IS BETTER THEN COCKROACHES ANY DAY.:p:)
    I also keep a good supply of bullion cubes in my BOB it helps with lots of bland foods. Beef, chicken and tomato are the three I keep in my bag.
  12. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

You got me there...I've never eaten a roach, nor do I plan too, but I've eaten many local vegetations including pine needles and dandelion...None of which were very tasty. :p

Crpdeth
  13. RMT

RMT New Member

I refer to my BOB also as a 72-hour kit, and stock it accordingly. 3 days worth of supplies to get you by... I have one for every member of my family. Includes food, clothing, means for water purification, water, flashlight, personal hygiene stuff, among other things...
  14. 358 winchester

RMT that is great and it is the way that most folks should look at their BOB

Only the real nut cases like me and a few others go beyond that but a real BOB should be a three to five day bag containing everything you need for that time period.
    Ron
  15. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Atleast 1,000 rounds of ammo. And if it is a semi automatic makes sure you got plenty of magazines. With a gun and ammo you can get anything else you would want
  16. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Will it keep you warm and dry? :D

Crpdeth
  17. It's always a good idea to avoid the toadstools and jimsom weed though, Donny. :D
  18. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

And the local Taco Bell...That stuff will kill ya like right now!

Crpdeth
  19. Right on, Donny. "Make a run for the border," but just be sure there is an outhouse or two along the way. :D
  20. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I thought that was "Gimme a case of the border runs." Hmmmm learn sompin every day. :D

We have a BOS, a BOB and a BOT.

A BugOutSack lives in each car and is intended to get you home.

A BugOutBag is something you run with when you haven't time to do anything but run.

The BugOutTrailer is stocked for either "hitch and run" or to sustain for a week or more of "can't leave."

Pops