Build or Buy AR-15?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ReginaldPFisticuffs, Dec 15, 2011.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

depends on what you want.

Do you want a plinker rang gun that you can feed any number of wolf through it and it runs.

or

Do you want a highly accurate precision rifle for varmint hunting? Or something else.

If you buy right and get the cheapest of everything for a range fodder gun they are cheaper to build.
  2. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

Buy AR-15

Buy AR-15 , to many aftermarket parts not up to standard.
  3. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

You haven't said anything about your mechanical knowledge of firearms or specifically the AR. The platform is pretty easy to completely tear down and reassemble... IF you know the right proceedure and all the tricks. And while it CAN be done with standard punches and tools, there are a few special tools that make working on them MUCH easier. So unless you or someone you know has all the tools, then you have to consider those costs on top of the cost for all the parts.

Are you planning on building the upper too or just buying one pre-assembled? Because there is another whole other batch of tools to buy if you want to do it right.

My suggestion to get the best of both worlds would be go ahead and buy a rifle pre-built. Become familiar with the mechanics of it, how it works and how it all goes together. THEN start buying your aftermarket parts and build up the rifle to how you want it. Nothing saying you can't have one lower and multiple uppers to fit the situation... shorter carbine length for competition and a long heavy barrel for any varmint hunting you want to do.

I'd go Eotech for optics... I really like mine.
  4. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

We only build on forged aluminum receivers, no cast receivers. Actually, I don't know of many cast receivers out there. The big thing to look for is 7075 series aluminum vs 6061. We will not build on Plum Crazy or any other polycarbonate receiver.

All of the internals are exactly the same as virtually all of the other manufacturers, including Rock River (same contractor makes them all). Our upper receiver is the same as used by Yankee Hill, Wilson Combat, etc.

We check each gas key and restake if necessary. All uppers are gauged, headspaced and test-fired before leaving our shop.

We can build any configuration of AR15 you might want. We have filled several law enforcement contracts for patrol rifles, SBR's and select-fire carbines.

We are factory direct with Noveske, Yankee Hill Machine, Midwest Industries, Krieger, etc.

We also build AR15 rifles with side-charging upper receivers, perfect for scoped rifles.
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=96930
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011