building a 10/22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

jackcows
    (3/27/02 4:18:37 pm)
    Reply building a 10/22
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm thinking about building a 10/22 to drive tacs. From what I've seen so far, most everything gets replaced but the receiver/bolt assembly. Do I need to start with a complete gun and toss the replaced parts or can I find a receiver/bolt assembly and add things from there? It's my first time on your site, looks like fun.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/27/02 4:29:54 pm)
    Reply Re: building a 10/22
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well Welcome, just cruise the threads below. You`ll find plenty of starting or tweaking threads. I suggest just buying a complete rifle...new/used, your choice. The receiver and bolt will cost almost the same......so get it all, then sell off what you remove. Basic skills are all thats required, only limited by your wallet. Regards LTS
    T.F.F.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/28/02 7:20:44 am)
    Hello and Welcome Jackcows, Liktoshoot is quite familure with this task at hand. Question is... is money an issue?

jackcows
    (3/28/02 1:24:17 pm)
    Reply building a 10/22
    yes, somewhat, might string this project over a little time when funds are available. Would I be alot better off finding a completed gun (cheaper?). Is the 10/22 target model any good? gunsmoke.com didn't think much of it but how big a difference is there? If buying someone elses completed project, what does a guy look for and where is the best place to look... auction arms, local gun dealers? It would be fun to do it on my own if it's not too tough.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/28/02 2:07:17 pm)
    Jackcows, here is a cut + paste from and earlier post of mine.
    ==============================================

With a lot of help from Shooter45, I've transformed Blackguns standard Ruger 10-22 into a Tac-Driver. A Boyds "Blaster" stock,Green Mountain 18" heavy barrel,Tasco TG6x24x44 scope, Power Custom Competition Hammer/Trigger set and bolt buffer.

edited with a better pic of the stock
    ==============================================

It's strictly up to you whether or not to build your own. I've seen a couple decent deals on the auction sites.
    However, it's nothing like building your own

To build your own, all you need is the receiver and trigger housing. If you like, find a used 10-22 and start from there.

We will be more than happy to assit you in whatever direction you choose.

Edited by: Zigzag2 at: 3/28/02 2:12:51 pm

jackcows
    (3/28/02 5:56:33 pm)
    Zigzag2, cool gun, love that stock, does the stock help alot with accuracy or is that more of a "trick out" type thing? Well I do have a 10/22 to start with. If starting slowly would I do the stock first, seeing how a barrel will not fit in the carbine stock that I have now. Can I plink during the building process (get a stock-shoot.....get a trigger-shoot.....get a scope-shoot....) or should I finish what I start, then celebrate my creation? I dont mean to pry, but what kind of money am I looking to make a gun like yours? Hey, I've got an idea, sell me your gun cheap and I'll let you have all the fun of building another one!! (I better watch it, I'm new here)
    Thanks for the replies!

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/28/02 6:28:51 pm)
    I`m going to list one for auction this evening......

Custom Ruger 10/22

as always...... $1.00 No Reserve hehehehehe
    T.F.F.

Edited by: LIKTOSHOOT at: 3/28/02 7:00:32 pm

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/28/02 6:39:24 pm)
    Ok Jackcows, this is what I purchased... and built myself

*STOCK*
    www.boydboys.com

*SCOPE (recomended for me a Tasco TG 6x24x44)
    www.midwayusa.com/online/productpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=243266

*COMPETITION TRIGGER/HAMMER SET & BUFFER*
    www.brownells.com/Product/index.asp

*BARREL (Green Mountain 18" heavy)*
    www.riflebarrelsupply.com

*A possible interest to you*
    www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Geyser/1720

If we can be any more help...just say so

The LORD know's these Guys here helped me

Edited by: Zigzag2 at: 3/29/02 9:14:13 am

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/28/02 6:45:06 pm)
    Since we're playing show and tell, and Ziggy and I own half interest in each others guns, here's another! This one is custom built by AntiqueDr. This Ruger by the way has a Butler Creek 18" carbon fiber barrel (.920"
    diameter), Butler Creek synthetic stock, Power Custom internals (hand
    prepped and polished), Stainless trigger with overtravel stop, Volquartsen
    extractor, synthetic bolt buffer. Trigger pull set at 2 lbs with reworked
    factory springs. Harris Bi Pod and a BSA 6X24X50MM scope and She will definately drive a tack. She likes CCI Green Tag!

Welcom to TFF

I suffer from occasional loss of mental stability, and become very violent with only slight provocation. The Veterans Administration has determined that both mental and physical harassment of my person may be hazardous to your health and well being. So stay away from my Donuts!!

BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 3/28/02 7:03:11 pm

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/28/02 7:12:20 pm)
    I was able to save a few dollars... I see the barrels have increased, and I was able to find a used scope for an additional savings.

You can pretty much do the math yourself...
    Stock+Barrel+Scope= SHOOT
    you can finish-up with the trigger/hammer later for an additional $100.00 or so.

Good Luck

rezeda
    (5/10/02 1:49:33 am)
    www.ontargetguns.com/
    www.sportables.com/ NO S&H!!

nevada paul
    (5/10/02 11:13:36 am)
    Reply Building a 10-22
    those are all good looking guns. Depending on just how 'tackdriving' you intend it to be, you may consider one of the factory ruger heavy barrels. The laminated stock looks good and works well off a rest. I put a leupold 4X on one and figure it shoots about as well as I can hold it. I'm sure the limiting factor in its accuracy is the ammo. If you're willing to buy target stuff, a give several brands a good test, you may be surprised.

The trigger could use a little work, but other than that, I never saw the need to spend any more time or money on mine.