building a 22 match rifle

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by moosebox76, Oct 20, 2009.

1. moosebox76

moosebox76 New Member

i am looking to build a benchrest rifle. and i am asking for advice on what action to start with i just bought a kreiger heavy barrel a t36 weaver scope and a blank stock. is there any actions that are easier to work with than others or easier to get my hands on or stronger ect. i shoot in 100 and 200 yard matches all from a bench . thanks:
  2. da357mag

da357mag New Member

You might try to get a cz 452 action, out of the box they are one of the most accurate
    rifles I can think of. they have very easy trigger assembleys to work on, and there is a
    magazien adapter that will allow single shot capapablity. as for the barrel you have I don'tknow if it would be compatible with the reciever, you will probobly have to have to
    have it turned and rethreaded
  3. moosebox76

moosebox76 New Member

the barrel is not theaded yet that is for my gunsmith to worry about. i will keep my eyes open for one. thanks for your help
  4. MK111

MK111 New Member

I would buy a Suhl 150-1 and you will be able to shoot with the best.
    Allansarmory.com has a new batch coming in and at 425-475 in excellant condition. You can start with the Suhl 150-1 and shoot it as is and see if you like the game. Good luck.
  5. old jeff

old jeff New Member

Do you plan on competing in rimfire benchrest?

If you do, you should be aware of the equipment restrictions before you start a build. It will save you money and disappointment.

Actions that have been used are:
    Anshutz 54
    Anschutz 2013
    Hall
    Remington
    Rem 37
    Rem 40X
    Sako
    Suhl
    Swindlehurst
    Time
    Turbo
    ULA
    Winchester
    Win 52
    Myers
    BSA Martini
    Kimber
    Cooper
    CZ
    Calfee XP
    Ruger 10/22
    Rem 541
    Savage
    Hoch
    Brno

Most are single shot actions, some are better than others. Repeaters are required for Sporter competition. Competitive rifles have triggers that let let go at about 1.5 ounces.

If you plan on competing it would be beneficial to know what venues are in your area.

There are three different competitive rimfire benchrest governing bodies.
    Each has it own rules. Sanctioned matches are not found in every state, so you might want to know what is contested near you.

Those organizations are:

USRA http://www.ir5050.com/

ARA http://ara.benchrest.net/

RBA http://rba.benchrest.net/
  6. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

Before you get too terribly far down the road in terms of putting together a competition rifle from scratch for .22 LR benchrest, please go and spend some time reading the numerous posts in the Rimfire Benchrest sub forum of the Benchrest Central web site. You have gotten some decent high level preliminary advice here, but the depth of experience and expertise over there is really what you are looking for. Join up over there and ask your questions for more diverse field experienced answers.
  7. moosebox76

moosebox76 New Member

i have competed in 22 lr bench rest for the last 5 years. we shoot the lasts sunday of every month are rules are simple sporter class, production class under 11 pounds it has to be right out of the box. and custom class no weight limit and you can do whatever you want to do to the gun. i am shooting a winchester 52 and it shoots great i compete with the guys shooting anschutz in the production class but i want to shoot in the custom class that has a smaller x ring. and i want to build a rifle that that wont break the bank. i am trying to keep it under 2 grand. thanks
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

find an old remington 41 in good shape, the one with a solid receiver/barrel. use ultra fine honing compoung or buffing compound on a mop to polish the bore and chamber. have the receiver drilled and tapped for a scope base. add a scope and see what she will do. probably cost less than 300 bucks. but i would expect it to shoot better than anything out there
  9. old jeff

old jeff New Member

Moose

Based upon your last post I would conclude that you are not shooting matches that are sanctioned by one of the benchrest organizations.

That's ok. No problem. Nothing wrong with club style matches.

I would encourage you to investigate the organizations that I mentioned earlier. Also to visit the site mentioned by oldeyes. Spend some time reading. See if there are any sanctioned matches near you and if possible go to one. To observe and see what folks are using. Talk, ask questions and learn. Most likely you could even shoot in a match with a borrowed rifle. Yep, that's right. Benchrest shooters are a pretty friendly crowd and usually someone has a spare rifle that might be available for use. See what folks are using.

Your bankroll can get you a very competitive rifle. But if you don't know the parameters you will not have a rifle that would compete in a sanctioned match. If you have one smithed, hopefully you will select a smith that knows how to build a competitive rimfire benchrest rifle. Not all smiths have that knowledge.

Kreiger makes good barrels, however in this game they are not in the winners circle. A good experienced smith will know if the barrel is worth using and which end to chamber.

Weaver T36 is very popular, they are probably used more that any other scope. They are the most cost effective, but not necessarily the best. I have two 36s and actually use a 24x on my #1 rifle.

Quality benchrest stocks inletted for you action are about $250. Of course bedding and finishing are needed. Stock composition and weight will have an impact in overall weight.

Lots of ways to spend money, lots of possibilities to do it right, lots of opportunity to do it wrong.

Your money and most important, your choice. Hope you don't paint yourself into a corner.

I wish you luck and happiness.
  10. moosebox76

moosebox76 New Member

thanks for all of your help. thanks for the links i will check out the ara match there is one close to my house
  11. williamd

williamd New Member

I have had and have some pretty neat BR 22's. Tops was a Walther kkj single that was superb. A lawyer wanted it far more than I did ... i.e., lots of cash ... but I regret it. [see my signature, the Walther drove that!]
    Multiples of Anschutz, Remington, BSA, Winchester, Mossberg, ... you know what, my 10/22 that is near stock hangs in there with most of them! Disgusting!
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009