building a forge

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by joncutt87, Oct 1, 2011.

1. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Looking for some info on what I need, or some plans. Yea, I could Google it but I think we all need a few more posts for the christmas giveaway.
  2. H-D

H-D Active Member

for how big of a project? gas or coal? I have seen a ton of of plans on some of the blade forums for smaller ones
  3. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I was thinking small and using propane
  4. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

5. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Forge, or foundry... Im pretty sure you want to build a forge, with a single opening, and a direct flame source, not a "melt metal in a cup" type of foundry, right?

I have built some propane fired, as well as Raku style kilns for pottery firing. But have always thought that mounting a(perhaps multiple) propane fueled torch head(s) in some sort of cinder block housing, with a hardened steel frame for hanging a crucible, would be simple, and relatively easy to construct in a simple backyard shop type of operation.

That is of course prolly not what you're looking for, but the zoeller forge is a fantastic set of plans for generl home bladesmithing!
  6. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

The only forging I have any experience with is signatures. :D:D:D:D:D
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Attached Files:

8. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Hunter, Jack; thanks you so much that puts me in a good direction.
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i like that one too Hunter ..

i went a bit big with mine

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  10. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

So what cha building Jon?
  11. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I'm not 100% sure, but I want to try my hand at turning leaf springs into skinning knives
  12. H-D

H-D Active Member

should be fun older leaf springs make good blades
  13. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

We have plenty of old ones around
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Jon, You mirror my interests.. Look for a set of old leafs out from under an old tractor trailer rig with tag axles. The old style tag axles had spring to hold it up and bags to defeat the springs and bring it down. the leafsprings on those axles are made of about 15 leafs that are roughly 1/8th thick. perfect for forging skinning blades as you dont have to do too much pounding on the steel to work it thin enough to make a good blade.

Should be able to find such beasts at big truck scrap yards. Just one set off a tag axle will make priolly 100 knives or more.

I tell ya what though, nothing IMO, holds a better edge than a leafspring blade.
  15. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Once I get the hang of it, I might try a machete
  16. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

You would be much better off using a known steel. That way you can heat treat it properly. 1080, 1084, 1095 steels are not expensive at all.
  17. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I've got an old forge I've been wanting to do something with but never seem to get around to it. The pan is cast iron and talk about heavy. I do need to take the blower apart and clean the hardened grease out of it. It barely turns now. When dad first got it one little crank of the handle and it seemed the blower would spin for five minutes, course that was close to 40 years ago.

[​IMG]
  18. whirley

whirley Member

Sometimes at farm auctions you can pick up a complete forge, anvil blacksmith vise and tools. Contact some of the rural auctioneers or look on the internet for auctions. That picture of a forge is like mine. Easy to fire up when you take the notion. As several have said, truck leafsprings are a good source of steel. You'll need a grinder, hammers, files and punches also. A cross peen and a straight peen hammers will help you stretch and thin the steel. Get a book and enjoy an ancient craft.
  19. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

We go to the local farm auction every month
  20. Country101

Country101 Active Member

If you get some old springs off a chevy from back in the 60's or earlier it is a good metal. I cant remember what it is exactly, but the Ray Johnson was telling me about it and said back then it was a good, known metal(he named it, but I dont remember) and he had made loads of knives with it. He aslo said that after a period they started using good metal again, but I dont know for sure about that. I like a hammer forged knife myself with differential heat treating. I dont think many people do that these days.