building a gun from parts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luke, Jun 18, 2007.

  1. Luke

    Luke New Member

    Mar 20, 2007
    hi there,
    I have another question on making guns. Is it legal (I live in NH) to make a gun from parts, (semi auto) or build a gun from a kit, like an AK (semi auto) and it be legal? would I need a liscence to do this? Would the gun be already registered by the serial numbers on the parts? or would I have to re-register it. thanks,
  2. Typically, you buy a frame or receiver, from the mfgr, thru a FFL. That is the registration. Then the rest can be up to you.

  3. rowdyredneck

    rowdyredneck New Member

    Jul 28, 2005
    You can buy receiver flats for the AK from companies like Tapco for around $20. All holes are drilled but they are soft steel and must be bent at precise points then tempered. This would obviously require some fabrication skills and most likely a jig of some kind, but its one way around buying through a FFL. The rest of the parts can be bought in kits, I've seen Romanian parts kits which include everything but the receiver for about $150. If your state requires registration I don't know how that would work though since the flats aren't serial numbered. I've also seen unfinished receivers for the Ruger 10/22 which need only the holes drilled. Since it isn't considered a completed receiver no FFL is required to buy one. You can find all the rest of the parts quite easily to finish the build.
  4. Luke you wouldn't need a license unless you are going to make them and sell them for profit.
    Also only comercial flats(unbent receivers) are done thru a dealer. If you make you own reciever from scratch they don't have to go thru a dealer
  5. Luke

    Luke New Member

    Mar 20, 2007
    ok thanks for the help. I might look into buying a kit gun. Also, It seems that Hi-point firearms has been bought out, so maby there guns are being produced better these days, and other than the fact that there guns seem to be bulky, etc. they might be a good buy, especially because of the life time warranty they offer with the gun, and there really cheap.
  6. flopshot

    flopshot New Member

    Dec 3, 2005
    North Carolina

    i think you meant to say complete receiver instead of flats or unbent receiver. flats or bent 80 % receivers are not transfered.
  7. You are right flop, I should have said stripped reciever
  8. Also don't forget 922r compliance. For a stamped receiver AK with a muzzle device (brake or hider) you would need 6 US compliance parts to keep the foreign parts count down.
  9. glocknut

    glocknut Active Member

    Sniper69.... now that is my kind of avitar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

  10. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

    Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

    Jan 18, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    That'd be Kasume from the Dead or Alive games on the Xbox and Xbox360 video game consoles.
  11. Glad you like it. :D
    I've been using the same avatar on various gun forums since around 2000-2001 time frame. She just keeps running and running. ;) ;) :D :D
  12. travihanson

    travihanson Member

    May 24, 2007
    Milo, ME
    Boing, boing, boing, bouncy bouncy bouncy :)
  13. glocknut

    glocknut Active Member

    Lets hope she never stops..... :D

Similar Threads
Forum Title Date
General Discussion Building my new 100 yard range Oct 24, 2016
General Discussion What a crappy start to the morning; Building evacuated Feb 17, 2016
General Discussion a question about underskirting a building Aug 29, 2015
General Discussion Building a walk in safe/safe room Aug 19, 2015
General Discussion building a fiberglass livewell Jul 23, 2015