building a gun from parts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luke, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Luke

Luke New Member

hi there,
    I have another question on making guns. Is it legal (I live in NH) to make a gun from parts, (semi auto) or build a gun from a kit, like an AK (semi auto) and it be legal? would I need a liscence to do this? Would the gun be already registered by the serial numbers on the parts? or would I have to re-register it. thanks,
    Luke
  2. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Typically, you buy a frame or receiver, from the mfgr, thru a FFL. That is the registration. Then the rest can be up to you.
  3. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

You can buy receiver flats for the AK from companies like Tapco for around $20. All holes are drilled but they are soft steel and must be bent at precise points then tempered. This would obviously require some fabrication skills and most likely a jig of some kind, but its one way around buying through a FFL. The rest of the parts can be bought in kits, I've seen Romanian parts kits which include everything but the receiver for about $150. If your state requires registration I don't know how that would work though since the flats aren't serial numbered. I've also seen unfinished receivers for the Ruger 10/22 which need only the holes drilled. Since it isn't considered a completed receiver no FFL is required to buy one. You can find all the rest of the parts quite easily to finish the build.
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Luke you wouldn't need a license unless you are going to make them and sell them for profit.
    Also only comercial flats(unbent receivers) are done thru a dealer. If you make you own reciever from scratch they don't have to go thru a dealer
  5. Luke

Luke New Member

ok thanks for the help. I might look into buying a kit gun. Also, It seems that Hi-point firearms has been bought out, so maby there guns are being produced better these days, and other than the fact that there guns seem to be bulky, etc. they might be a good buy, especially because of the life time warranty they offer with the gun, and there really cheap.
    Luke
  6. flopshot

flopshot New Member

i think you meant to say complete receiver instead of flats or unbent receiver. flats or bent 80 % receivers are not transfered.
  7. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

You are right flop, I should have said stripped reciever
  8. sniper69

sniper69 Member

Also don't forget 922r compliance. For a stamped receiver AK with a muzzle device (brake or hider) you would need 6 US compliance parts to keep the foreign parts count down.
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Sniper69.... now that is my kind of avitar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

mike
    gn
  10. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

That'd be Kasume from the Dead or Alive games on the Xbox and Xbox360 video game consoles.
  11. sniper69

sniper69 Member

Glad you like it. :D
    I've been using the same avatar on various gun forums since around 2000-2001 time frame. She just keeps running and running. ;) ;) :D :D
  12. travihanson

travihanson New Member

Boing, boing, boing, bouncy bouncy bouncy :)
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Lets hope she never stops..... :D

mike
    gn