Building a Rifle Together for Black Bear

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by skb150, Sep 7, 2006.

1. skb150

skb150 New Member

I posted a thread earlier entitled best rifle for black bear. I received some great information and advice. I thought about all of the options. I have used it as an excuse to buy a couple of rifles to play with. I have gone to the range and had some quality playtime. I bought a cheap 710 Remington 270 at a pawn shop (under $200). Using Federal low recoil 145 gr. it shot 1 inch groups at 100 yards. I tried my 1100 Remington 12 gauge deer gun, nikon scope and hornady SST slugs. It shot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. I tried my Ruger 25-06 with 120 grain winchester with inconsistant results. I think the 25-06 is not a good choice for bear anyway. Last Monday I took my daughter back to University and stopped at a local gun shop. I saw several guns I really liked. One was a Parker Hale in 300 Win Mag. What a beautiful gun, but it was over priced and the bolt was rather sloppy. I saw an old lonely Ruger M77, 21 inch barrel, beautiful wood and chambered in 30-06. I could hear it whisper "buy me, buy me". Hey, I have a heart and couldn't say no. That fault has gotten me in trouble before. I want to use this rifle for my bear hunt. I want your suggestions on what to do. After having the rifle checked by a good smith I want to buy optics. I want a scope that has good low light abilities and less than $400 bucks. With the optics on I will take it to the range, update you and start the improvement process. Here is the question, what are you suggestions for a scope?
  2. MarkC

MarkC New Member

I like this little Tasco for your bear rifle. I will not fit in your factory Ruger mounts... but duct tape cures all! Two inches of eye relief should catch you right in the eyebrow! Five foot field of view at 50 yards should suffice. The ability to handle the recoil of you gun for at least one shot should work... you're a one-shot-guy anyway! AND... not only is it under $400, it's under $10!!!

No, I'm not one bit jealous that you get to hunt while I work.

I know... you've paid your dues!!!

Attached Files:

3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Hey, I killed a TON (OK, maybe 50 pounds...:cool: ) of SQUIRRELS with that SAME scope on a couple of Marlins before I was told it wasn't any good and I needed to get a BETTER one....which I of course DID and haven't killed anywhere NEAR as many since...HEY! It's squirrel season NOW and I haven't been out YET!:eek:
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I picked up a Barska 3-9x42 with 5 red illumination settings and 5 green illumination settings for about $90 from Cabelas and it is a clear as the high dollars and it takes my abuse
  5. fritz

fritz New Member

I would recomend a Leupold VX-II, 3x9. great scope, gathers light great, unbeatable factory service, if you ever need it. and is priced under $400. my experences with scopes is not to go cheap. I have had Nikons, three in fact, they have great optics but after a year of riding arround on a four wheeler they were litterally falling apart, Bushnells i never had much problems with until i put one on my 338 mag., it wouldnt hold zero, same with Pentax, i guess just to much recoil, i bought a Leupold 4x12 and havnt had any more problems out of it. I am a firm beleiver in having the best scope you can afford and you cant go wrong with a Leupold.