building an AR platform .308 suggestions please!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Hatch, May 2, 2011.

1. Hatch

Hatch Former Guest

So, I want to have a .308 in an AR config. I could just drop about 900-1000 on an FN knock off, but I really like the AR platform and how modular they can be.

Most particularly I'm looking for lessons learned and just general "things to consider" for example:

barrels - what twist is best on .308 out to 300-500 which is what I'd want this particular rifle to do, on iron sights (although I will probably put a scope on it and flip up/fold down front & rear "iron" sights)

barrels pt2... besides twist, length?

barrels pt3... besides twist and length, bullet weight. I want to feed NATO or civilian readily accessible ammo all day long without a hiccup and always on target... so what bullet weights and twist and length should I be considering?

so...

with those in mind? Especially if you've built an AR type .308,

what have you learned?
    what vendors would you do business with again EVERY TIME?
    If you did it again, same gun, what would you do different?

Your thoughts on upper receiver bolt carrier groups?

a basic premise of what I'm planning to build...

standard .308 stripped lower
    .308 parts kit /buffer spring / tube
    magpul stock (adjustable cheek weld, shoulder mate and a spin down rear brace)
    CAA ergo lower pistol grip (those are sexy if you havent seen one before, go look!!!!)
    troy (probably, but open to suggestions) quad rails on front hand guard
    GG&G or some other such dependable brand flip up/fold down front & rear sights

I will not be turning this into a $5,000 rifle with $500 compensators or some such accessories like that... my thoughts are building and assembling and coming in somewhere around 11-1300 and from there bolting on the add-ons like bi-pods and such. For now, I want the rifle to be up and working, that's task #1.

what are your thoughts and suggestions?
  2. cutter

cutter New Member

I want to do the same, so speak out!!!
  3. Hatch

Hatch Former Guest

still hoping someone might be able to chime in on this with some first hand knowledge and suggestions
  4. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Hi hatch/ cutter This is not as easy as it might sound! Yes alot of parts for the ARs are interchangeable BUT they may not fit right(to lose or to tight)I have costem built many but have learned that some times it is better to buy a pre built and then change to what you want after you know what you don't like insted of the other way around (it will cost you less in the long run)But anyway if you want a disstance shot with accuracy you want a 24 inch barrel 1in9 twist is good but a 1in12 twist is better but going up in twist limits your choice in the round you use.Alot depends on what you are going to use it for (hunting,target) Target rounds are more accuraet but do not expand on impact so are not good for hunting(they will kill but you will be tracking your game) because they will go right through doing very little damage.And your hunting loads will differ on how far your shots are.as for iron sights or scope unless you have perfict eyes you will not be able to hit good at 300-500 yards with out a scope! I have found that DPMS make very good weapons and if you can find a dealer who dos'nt want to pay his rent on a single gun sale you can get a LR 308 for around 1000.00(and they offer alot of good add on's right from the shop) leaving you cash to make changes grips, handgards so on. In your post you did not say who's uppers and lowers you are looking at some are better the others, price very's and so does quality.Have you ever had a AR? you want a good compensater/suppressor/break to ease your recoil to stay on your target.So if i can help you more just pm me and i will be happy to talk to you more I am not very good at putting my thoughts on the computer (better with my mouth)I have costem built, re built, ARs for both customers and local swat teams I do have my armorest in AR,s so if i can help more let me know.........GOOFY:)
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  5. dalina_39

dalina_39 New Member

This gun is in manageable size and weight so that’s why it can be fired comfortably from the shoulders as well as from bench too.

308 lower receiver
  6. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Goofy is right. Slight changes between manufacturers can create headaches for you. Just 1/1000 of a difference between manufacturers can cause something not to fit exactly right.
    I personally own a Heavy Barrel DPMS Panther LR308. I have never fired at a 300 meter target, but I can tell you that at 200 meters it punches a 3" group all day long with store bought ammo. I can squeeze that down to 2 1/2" at 200 meters with my hand loads. Best of all, it fires anything I feed it without a hiccup. It doesn't matter if it is Remington, Wolf, Silver Bear, Federal....it cycles it all and never jams or misfeeds.

The best thing about buying a rifle from a single manufacturer is the warranty. You will spend $1200 whether you put it together yourself or buy it already assembled. If you buy it already put together, you have a guarentee that it will work. If it doesn't, then all you have to do is send it back and let them fix it. If your project rifle doesn't work, you could spend lots of time and money trying to figure out what is wrong.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012