Building an AR15

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Jackman, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Is it cost effective to build an AR15 or better just buy one outright?
  2. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I built mine from a stripped lower receiver. I spent around $800 building it, where as if I would have bought an out of the box AR with similar parts it would have cost me around $300-$400 more. (Rock River Arms lower and Del-Ton upper).......You can get a rifle around $600 or $700....but I didn't feel the quality was right.

Read up on different things and see if out of the box is an option for you. For me it wasn't because I wanted a chrome lined 16" heavy barrel, M4 feed ramps, chrome bolt/assembly, flat top, mid length grip (they say that carbine is harder on the parts unless you do a few further upgrades)....etc. Those were things that most people agreed would make abetter rifle.

The most important thing with buying and building it was that now I know how to repair my rifle if needed.
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    parts have gone way up on building,but now ars are starting to go down a little bit,chk out olyarms.com old semperfi