1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Building an AR15

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Jackman, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Is it cost effective to build an AR15 or better just buy one outright?
  2. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I built mine from a stripped lower receiver. I spent around $800 building it, where as if I would have bought an out of the box AR with similar parts it would have cost me around $300-$400 more. (Rock River Arms lower and Del-Ton upper).......You can get a rifle around $600 or $700....but I didn't feel the quality was right.

Read up on different things and see if out of the box is an option for you. For me it wasn't because I wanted a chrome lined 16" heavy barrel, M4 feed ramps, chrome bolt/assembly, flat top, mid length grip (they say that carbine is harder on the parts unless you do a few further upgrades)....etc. Those were things that most people agreed would make abetter rifle.

The most important thing with buying and building it was that now I know how to repair my rifle if needed.
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    parts have gone way up on building,but now ars are starting to go down a little bit,chk out olyarms.com old semperfi