Building the Perfect Bump-Fire .22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by montezumaz, Sep 19, 2012.

1. montezumaz

montezumaz Former Guest

2. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

the day I realized what bump fire was, I'm pretty sure I became a contributing stock holder to various ammo companies! it's just that fun
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

why? :crazy:
  5. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

My perfect bump fire is my m-16 lol. Why you ask because it is a blast. It is not called the happy switch for no reason.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Maybe were just from 2 different schools of marksmanship. I find wasting mounds of ammo just for the sake of stirring the dirt up, well, :crazy:.. Full auto Airsoft guns are fun, but IMO theres alot more to be said for a well placed single round. But its just my opinion, yall have fun with it. Ammo companies love bump firers.
  7. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I've got to agree with JLA on this one. To each his own I guess.
  8. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Fun to play with, handy to know if totally surrounded at close range...but you're likely toast anyway ;)

To be honest, you can get more by training your trigger finger...better precision and the same speed...
    just by using Link's Crossbow Adventure on the Wii...and an Eagle Catcher for strength...
    http://www.awma.com/productdetail/1595-eagle-catcher.html
    Between the two you can work towards Jerry Miculek speed & accuracy!!
    (mind you that'll take awhile...practice makes perfect)
  9. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

It's a lot of fun but it does eat ammo. Don't do it nearly as often as I used to but about every other session I'll send a mag all at once. 99% of the time it's the AK anyway.

As for effectiveness, I think full auto is almost worthless anyway unless you're breaking contact or on an ambush line. Been a soldier for 13 years and I've never needed or wanted to use full auto (other than training), semi is much more effective and realistic. Now as a SAW or 240 gunner, obviously it's full auto only, different story.

When AK ammo was $55/case and I was single, I couldn't resist a 75 round full auto burst now and again!

I grew up a target shooter and often a single shot shooter and we used to bash on the 'idiots' that went to the range and shot the place up with their 'junk, inaccurate AK' but after learning combat shooting for work, it's second nature to get as much lead downrange as the situation allows. I remember missing a deer for the first time when I was a saw gunner, I went home and was deer hunting with the muzzleloader. I discovered I had grown too used to full auto all the time, there is no second shot with BP!

So I do both and try to keep the fundamentals fresh while letting loose now and again. But like ya say, to each their own (wallet).
  10. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

This si the thing with allot of old military folks who have shot fa they all think it is very inaccurate. These days with a good suppressor and other options you can get amazing accuracy on FA. That aside a standard full length m16 upper can shoot 600 yards on semi very very well. H&K are very famous for having even there belt guns shoot amazingly well on semi at distance.

I myself am a accuracy nut and love to hunt and shoot at distance here in Maine yotes are my thing and I have ar I custom built for just that in .204 Ruger and have exceptional results with it.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

FA fire is for enemy supression so you can move troops to thier flanks. Where they use controlled burst or aimed semi auto fire to eliminate the enemy.. It has a place, and yes can be quite fun. I regularly rent the 9mm UZI at the shop.. mainly because I get a mag for free pretty much anytime I want to. Its fun for about 30 seconds but once you realize you just put 50 rounds downrange at 30 feet and have maybe 13 hits on the paper, you start to realize it isnt all that effective.
  12. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

Gotta agree here. Wish we could get Charles take on the practice..
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Right.. That guy could figure out a way to go full auto with a bolt action
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Full auto is fun. And, for most people, after the first week or two of owning one, you don't do magazine dumps any more. You practice and learn to do two and three round bursts accurately.

Bump-firing, on t'other hand, is plain foolish.
  15. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

With ammo the way it is as per cost...yikes!
    It's fun from time to time putting lead down range fast, but I myself cant see the "productiveness" of it. I like the old saying, one shot, one kill.
    With all my double actions firearms and semi auto's, I do practice double tapping.
    The AR 15 is a fine example for me and putting two rounds in on target with the second round hitting right within 1/4" of the first takes time and practice, or it did for me. A coyote I had in my sights one night found out what two rounds of Hornady HP's at 150yds could do with two rounds to the chest before he'd knew what hit him. :D
  16. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

God how I miss full auto....NOTHING beats it...well except sex...
  17. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    FA, or bump fire, is not for me! I've used the Hell Fire system on a .22, and on an SKS with a 30rd mag, and of course I've shot FA M-16's. I can't even keep the bullets on target with a fast burst of semi-auto fire, much less FA. Hits count, misses don't!
  18. Zane71464

I had a guy bring out an FA M16 one day long time back. It ws the first time I'd shot one FA. After two mags, my question was; How in the world do you afford the ammo for this beast? It was QUICK fun, though!
    As far as to what I was aiming at and hitting (small soup can at 50yrds.,....well lets just say I dug a hole, all around the can. I did hit it, but not many times.
  19. Zane71464

..I think the first two rounds actually made their mark. After that, it was everywhere, or so it felt!
  20. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Bumpfiring is a novelty. I might do it ocassionally, but it is not accurate, effective, or cheap. That said, it is fun to make the lead fly every once in a while, so I will do it once in a blue moon.