Bulged Barrel?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ryan42, Sep 25, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

This is my second glock.Its a glock 21 45 acp.I shoot 230grain fmj reloads through it.I use tightgroup at 4.5 grains for target.Last week I shot 8 rounds out of the clip and the 8th round got jammed.I tried to clear it but I couldnt pull the slide back all the way.It seems the barrel is bulged.I was wondering what some of you guys opinion would cause this.Thanks
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

the barrel is bulged? ouch, was there a squib load where a round got stuck? seems the only possibility. are you able to pull the slide off? if you can get the slide off, the barrel will come right out so you can inspect.

I use that load also, titegroup is a favorite although I don't have any .45 glocks, just my 1911's.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

whats the wall thickness of the barrel ??

folks hereb have had a couple bulged barrels too and i cant see any sign of squibbing

theres a impact mark or similar in the barrel if there was

that sort of impact will mark barrels

if no show i'm suss ..

and why i'm asking about thickness
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Obviously a squib load that leaves a bullet in the barrel will cause a bulged barrel if a round is fired behind it. But I have seen a couple of bulged barrels that I think were caused by another problem.

Ryan, can you provide the exact sequence of events that led up to the bulging. Did you have any failure to feed or failure to fire on the preceding round? Any odd sounding shot, like a pop instead of a bang.

Jim
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ouch,,, gunsmith time. I would venture to guess a dud but, there is a chance that some previous owner had a dud, hurt the barrel and then you began shooting and had this result. Did you inspect the barrel at all before this. This is one reason I always inspect the barrel of each gun I purchase.

Ryan, before the gun jammed did you hear all the bullets fire and did you see where all of your bullets went? In another words is there a chance it was a dud and you can not verify there was a live round.
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

well, if nothing else, you could always get a Lone Wolf replacement barrel or other aftermarket one. Heck, even a new factory barrel isn't too aweful bad, roughly $100 as long as nothing else is messed up, minor to no fitting needed.
  7. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Jim every round went of perfectly.How I new i didnt have a squib is that we were plinking around and I was shooting in the water of a pond.Everything went off perfect but when I went to shoot the 8th time and the slide stuck about half way back just enough to remove the jammed casing.I removed the slide and inspected and didnt see the bulge at the time.But when I put it back together same problem I couldnt rack the slide all the way back to chamber another round.When I took the gun in today imediately the guy said the barrel is buldged and when he removed it sure enough buldged right in the middle.Jack I cant measure the thickness of the barrel because the gunshop has it awaiting parts.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

ok get the barrel back when they replace it then measure it where it aint bulged i'll work it out from there
  9. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

ok Jack thanks,if I caused it I just want to know why so it dont happen again.They ordered me a brand new barrel.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Had to have been an obstruction.
  11. 76Highboy

Ya, that is my thought.
  12. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Very possible I guess but I sure didnt know it.:)
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It doesnt take very much of an obstruction. Excess oil can even do it..
  14. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Active Member

Really? I always wonder what the story is with the gun torture tests that pull them out of mud or peanut butter or some other crazy substance, shake it off, work the action a couple times, and then empty a mag.? The poster here might've toasted his barrel by something as simple as overzealous lubrication. Yet a mud puddle poses no threat? When I bought my Mosin, I cleaned the cosmoline pretty well, but in no way did I think I could possibly pop the barrel by not perfectly removing all of it?
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Mud can do it and does. A bulged barrel will still fire a bullet. And some do it quite accurately I had a .357 that i bulged and shot for a month before I noticed, and only noticed while I was cleaning it. Only reason it stopped the weapon in Ryans case is because it was bad enough to lock the slide. Had it not bulged enough to stop the slide from operating id wager hed still be shootig today and not know his barrel was bulged.
  16. 76Highboy

It is all in perspective. I just had a revolver where I stuck 3 bullets into the barrel with no damage and had to drill them out, and then I have seen shotguns explode due to mud in the barrel. Then, I have read where barrels have been damaged due to over oiling and then trying to fire them. It would be nice to know what caused the barrel to bulge.
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep too many variables. Hes shooting .45 ACP so pressure isnt likely a cause. Due to the low pressure and low velocity of the .45 ACP that all but rules out partial obstruction like too much oil. In my mind the only real possibility here is a stuck bullet.. Perhaps a bridged powder dump from the measure and the round that stuck only got a half grain of titegroup or so. Which means there could be a round in the rest of the loaded ammo with a near double charge.. :eek: Or best case scenario.. A round simply didnt get charged with powder and the primer just pushed the bullet an inch or so down the barrel where the next round fired normally collided with the stuck bullet and both went on to the target..
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  18. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Im sure your right.:)
  19. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Active Member

Care to throw a number at the % of the time a bullet stuck in the barrel will be "pushed" out by the next round verses exploding barrel syndrome?
  20. 76Highboy

Your analysis is kind of why I think that someone stuck two bullets in the barrel and caused the barrel to bulge and got rid of it. Then Ryan gets the gun and the continued use causes the barrel to begin distorting just enough to cause the slide to jam against it. That is what comes to mind with me. Past that, I am clueless. As far as one bullet knocking the first one out I am not sure about that and have never heard of it happening.