Bulk ammo question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hackercat13, Feb 1, 2011.

1. hackercat13

hackercat13 New Member

Hello all!

My local shop has great deals on 250, 500, and 1000 round cases of ammo, but being relatively new to shooting (other than wally world ammo), I am not as familiar with the brands. Prices are close enough that I can choose any of these for 9mm (and my .380 as well), so I am hoping for opinions about quality.

My choices are:

BVAC (Bitteroot Valley)
    Magtech
    Sellier & Bellot

There is a slightly better price on the BVAC, but not enough that it it was clearly inferior I would still buy it.

Looking for clean, reliable target and pliking ammo. Oh, BTW, I am feeding this stuff to Rugers, P-94 and P-85 in 9mm, and LCP as well as my Makarov in .380.

Thanks a ton for your time and expertise!
    Chris
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Magtech and s&b are very good plinker brands of ammo. I pass on s&b brass for reloading but it shoots well.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

They're all good quality, whatever you can get your hands on will do you just fine. I do find that SB's sealed primers and tight pockets do make it a bit more difficult to reload, but I still manage to reload them just fine.
  4. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

I like S&B, and can usually find it pretty cheap. Seems to me to be loaded a little hotter than most, but thats my subjective opinion and matters not. I can always tell when I've put an S&B casing in the sizing die, without looking at it and also when priming but never had any problems with it.
    312shooter, feel free to send me any S&B brass you don't want...:D
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

If youre a reloader get the magtech, CBC brass is good stuff (comparable to R-P and WW brass IMO), IF youre not a reloader get either of the other 2. the S&B does have reloadable brass cases, but as stated can be a pain in the arse to get reloaded. I dont have any personal experience with BVAC but I have several shootn buddies (non-reloaders) that its all they use for target practice.