Bullet Casting Pro's and Con's

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 76Highboy, Aug 2, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Today I went to MidwayUSA and priced out the components needed to begin casting lead bullets. This list included everything from the Lee Pro 4 20lb furnace to the mold handles, and of course two sets of molds. One for .357, and the other for .44. The total comes to approx. $240.00.

The question is this. I currently have about 400lbs of lead in my garage, maybe more. Next month I should get about 100lbs more. Is it worth me getting into casting, or should I sell the lead, and take the $240.00 and invest in production bullets.

For several years I was sending lead to a relative and he was casting it and sending half of it back, and keeping the other half. It was a joint effort and we both benefited. He has plenty of ammo now so has no need to cast it, and I am sitting on a heap of bullets, but sooner or later they will be gone.

My thoughts: I know I will need to restock sooner or later, but overall would it be best to buy production, or bite the bullet now and buy the equipment and begin casting. I just want to be certain before I drop the cash. I will shoot guns until I die, so in my mind I am justifying the purchase. I just want to be sure.

So, is it worth the investment? I am looking for pro's and con's.

Thanks guys.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

ok ask this

the stuff will last a lifetime so in your lifetime how many bullets will you buy v make ?

half that and look at the numbers seriously ( a life time is a long time so look at half of it )

if you see variances of $500 or more thats serious money

and then theres the opportunity to sell a few and get cash .. mates rates may not see a profits but its still cash in your pocket

then you can cast sinkers for fishermen , seen the price on them especially the larger ones ??

good $$ to be made there ..
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  3. 76Highboy

So far your spot on. I have thought about ncasting for $ on the side. I feel that over the long haul it would pay for it's self. Through Midway $250.00 will get my roughly 2500 bullets, and that is only .38 cal. 45acp, 45Colt, and 44mag and much more so I could see it paying for it's self within a year, maybe two.

They would also make for great TFF giveaways.

Thanks Jack.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i get maybe $300 on the side a year from the charter boat operators who buy 1 lb sinkers

it aint a fortune but makes all else free for the year ..
  5. 76Highboy

That would pay for brass, primers, and some powder. That makes sending a bullet down range pretty cheap.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yup

some home movies

one is for a group who do a big annual trip and charter a boat but take all their own gear

max ( in the last vid) has me do this every year for him and his mates

there's $400 cash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. 76Highboy

Thanks for the input Jack.
  8. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Making bullets for profit in the US does require a federal license, unfortunately.
    400 pounds? Holy cow - I'm happy when my stash is up about 50 pounds! That will take you a while to burn through! Casting is a fun and easy, but time consuming. If you like doing it, that's no problem.
    That's a lot of money to get started - are you buying a lot of molds or just a few high dollar ones? Most of mine are Lee and work just fine - the only semi-expensive one I have is the NOE, a very good mold.
    Number one casting resource on the web is castboolits.gunloads.com.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking.

I have a few Lyman molds. The reason I have them is because Lee didn't make that bullet size.

I have not worn out or broken a Lee mold.

I started casting with a iron pot on a coleman stove, pan lubed and used a cake-cutter. Total investment was about 25 dollars, and ten of that was for the Lee mold. Last few times I've done any casting, I used a cast-iron sauce pan I bought at a yard sale, and did it on the kitchen stove (the joys of being divorced).

I've got an electric pot, but unless I'm planning on doing a few hundred to a few thousand bullets, I don't even get it out any more. A pot and a ladle just seems more - right.

I think, before I dumped a couple of hundred bucks in this hobby, I'd go cheap and see if I liked it.
  10. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

got the stuff to gascheck?
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Why are you gas-checking pistol bullets?
  12. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Does that go for just the bullet or for the loaded ammo?
  13. 76Highboy

Today after work I will put my detailed list on with my prices and then maybe you guys can tell me if what I am looking at is right.

Thanks armored man and Alpo.
  14. 76Highboy

I did it when I was a teenager with my father so I know I would like it. I just want to make sure that financially it is worth it.

Thanks Alpo.
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

High boy a friend of mine who i conned into doing it , ;) , worked a deal , what cast bullets went for , he got 80% of on store credit in trade .. he's in montana