bullet casting

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by old semperfi, Feb 6, 2010.

1. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have casted center fire for ever,however i have never casted for black powder firearms.my questions are as follows.i have been told that the lee production pot is not hot enough for casting mini type bullets.i want to cast for between 300-400 grains.i also would like to know if the lee single cavity molds are any good.the final question is where to get the pure lead needed. any help for can give is helpful old semperfi
  2. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Old semp,
    Lee pots are fine for casting those heavy bullets. Many folk in my shooting group (N-SSA) use Lee pots to good effect. Their molds are fine, too. The only issue mentioned is the durability of Lee products. To cast good minie balls, you will need VERY soft lead, not wheel-weight or fishing weight lead. Sheeting from old doctor's offices, lead pipes, down-spouts, etc. is where you want to go. Do you know any plumber/rebuilders?

Wheel-weight lead will work well in Spencers, Smith Carbines, Maynards, Henry rifles, etc. - (the cartridge black powder weapons) but very soft lead is needed for proper expansion of the grove skirt found in minie balls.
  3. rammed

rammed New Member

Old Semperfi

+1 on mrkirker's comments. Lee molds are inexpensive but don't hold up in the long run. Rapine makes a good mold. Here is the company address.

Rapine Bullet Mold Manufacturing Co

9503 Landis Ln
    East Greenville, PA 18041-2541(Philadelphia, PA-NJ Metro Area)
    Phone: (215) 679-5413

Google rapine bullet molds for retail suppliers.
  4. scrat

scrat New Member

On the big bullets the trick is you need to get the mold hot. hot to make sure it fills up properly. if its cold at all they will come out wrinkled. Other than that the lee production pot works fine. Oh and once you start casting since the mold has less metal for the huge cavity. you have to let it cool once in a while. After i pour you should be able to count to about 4 then whack the sprue. if you count to 4 and you whack the sprue and the lead still looks wet. then let the mold cool a bit before your next pour.
  5. army mp

army mp Member

I have used the Lee pots for years on everything I cast. As said you want almost pure lead. For BP Having said that. As you know all Barrels are Different .I am able to shoot stick on Wheel weights in Black powder . I pick them out of the stuff I am going to cast the harder stuff out of. I tested the Stick on WW in my area With My Saeco tester. They came in with a BHN of 10. Pure lead is a BHN of 8. But what works for me may not for you.