1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Bullet Casting????

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by slk, Feb 26, 2010.

1. slk

slk New Member

I just called Uberti and asked what the bore diameter was on the 1874 Sharps Down Under model in 45/70. I was told it was .450........I thought 45/70 was supose to be .458.. Am I mistaken or do you guys think it very well could be what they stated??????If it is so I will really have to resize my bullet castings.

Thanks
    Steve
  2. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I would think since you asked them for the "bore" diameter they gave you just that, the smaller diameter that on the 30-06 is .300" & .308" groove dia. The question you wanted to ask them was what the "groove" diameter is wich I believe on the 45-70 is .458".
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

just slug your bore and measure the slug with a dial caliper. The easiest way is to get some old soft round balls for muzzleloading and drive one into the muzzle with a rawhide mallet. Of course you will need to get a round ball that is bigger than .458" so get some .490 roundballs designed to be used with a .010" patches. they are dead soft and will swage down and enter the bore rather easily with the mallet (use some good bullet lube or case resizing lube on the ball) then just drive it back out with your cleaning rod and measure accross the grooves with a caliper...
  4. slk

slk New Member

Uberti sent me a note stating that the grove diameter of their 45/70 Sharps Down Under was .456. If this is so what size mold do I need to get for casting bullets.

Now that being said I thought most 45/70 's were .458-.459 for a groove diameter. Does this mean that I will have to be choosy as to what factory loads I buy???

I will do a slug test to make sure.
  5. NuJudge

NuJudge New Member

Are you shooting smokeless or Black powder in this?

For smokeless, I like having bullets be .002" larger than groove diameter, in general. For rifles with really huge throats (a certain Hungarian straight-pull of mine in 8x56 comes to mind), I like a bullet even bigger.

I refuse to shoot Black any more, but when I did, I initially tried bullets about .002" over groove diameter. Frequently, Black powder was expected to exert such a shock to the base of a soft, undersize pure Lead bullet, that it would upset to fill the grooves. I used to have a pair of .43 Spanish Remington rolling blocks that had .446" groove diameters, but would not chamber a cartridge with a bullet larger than .441", even in ancient Berdan-primed brass.

Rifle barrels are frequently mighty particular about their likes and dislikes. Can I suggest you buy some commercially cast bullets in popular designs, in several different sizes, and see what the rifle likes?

There is a Single Shot Rifle Association, with a discussion forum. You might want to find it and ask for experience with your rifle make and model there.
    http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl
  6. mikld

mikld Active Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

slk, Lee precision 500 gr bullet mold and a .457 sizer die. should have you blowing the bullseye out of your targets;)