bullet choice

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by kar298, Mar 23, 2004.

1. kar298

kar298 New Member

which bullet would be better for hunting white tail deer, a 150 grain round nose bullet or a 150 grain flat nose bullet. these will be used in my marlin 30-30

thanks
    kevin
  2. misiu

misiu New Member

Hello Kevin and welcome to our little home in cyberspace. Your question is one that leaves alot of room for speculation but in general given its for deer any well constructed bullet-several names come to mind (speer-hornady-sierra-winchester, etc.) will do a good job out to the range you should be shooting at with the 30-30. Both the round nose and flat nose will make a good choice but the round nose generally has a little bit better ballistic coeficient so if you want the best downrange ballistics that would be my choice.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2004
  3. kar298

kar298 New Member

one thing i want to add is that all the areas i hunt in are pretty heavy in brush and downed trees here in PA, its not to often that i have the opprutinty for a shot over 75 yards. is the round nose bullet still a better choice than the flat nose. and am i correct to say that a heaveir bullet will deflect less than a lighter bullet when they are shot through brush?
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Kevin, you are correct on both counts. Also look at Nosler. More expensive, but a great bullet. They make a great round nose partition bullet in 170 gr weight. It was designed specifically for the 30-30 and will expand well, out to 200 yards, at 30-30 velocities. I highly recommend it.
  5. kar298

kar298 New Member

thanks i will have to look at thouse this weekend when i get home and have time to go down to the store