The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet differences

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  LDBennett 
#1 ·
i see load data for 155 gr gdhp speer bullet using 8 gr unique powder and cci 500 primers at 1200 fps,could a 155 gr hbrn plated berrys bullet be substituted?- the data came from alliant powder and a speer manual

#2 ·
This is directly from the Berry's website:

Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.

#3 ·
Bullets with thin plating, unlike the GD, should usually be loaded like lead bullets and not to exceed 1200 fps.
One is generally recommended to start with the lowest starting load one can find for lead bullets of the same or heavier weight and work up--not to exceed mid-range jacketed bullet data.

#4 ·
yes i have read that info from berrys,i have even emailed and called them,they say they do not recommend unique because it is not accurate,but they said it is safe ,but will not give me a starting charge with that powder,so i am trying to find out if this powder is going to work with this bullet,i was told by the gun shop were i got it that it would work with that bullet, based on them looking at a speer manual,turns out the manual was for 155 gr gdhp speer bullets not 155 gr plated berrys,i also have a email out to alliant powder (unique)looking for their input

#5 ·
I'm going to Assume you are talking 40 S&W, if not disregard the following.

Lyman 48, 155gr Jacketed Silvertip.
Start=5.8gr, Max=6.5gr

Sierra #5, 150gr JHP.
Start=5.6gr, Max=7.5gr

Speer #13, 155gr TMJ/GDHP
Start=7.2gr, Max=8.0gr

Based on this and Berry's recommendations, I would start a 5.8gr and work up. Only load a few of each weight when working up.

#7 ·
mitchell38:

Plated bullet (even by others) serve a couple of purposes. When loaded to cast bullet specs they eliminate or minimize the possibility of leading up the bore. When used in indoor ranges they minimize the spread of lead dust as they tend to confine it inside the plating envelope.

My experience with the Rainier (same idea as Berry's) is if I keep the velocity below 1000 FPS on anything I shoot (357, 9mm, 10mm, 45ACP, 41 mag, 44 mag, 45LC, 40S&W) they work fine for target practice. If I was loading a defense round I'd use one of the tactical bullets like HornadyXTP and use a mid range jacketed load.

I think a better choice of powders for your situation if it is just practice target loads is Hodgdon HP38 or Winchester 231 (they are exactly the same powder with different labels, made by Winchester for Hodgdon, who distributes both). It burns cleaner, meters better, and goes farther for the same money.

LDBennett

#8 ·
ldbennett-i got the berrys because they were a good price and they seem to have a good rep and this is my first time reloading, not sure of the fps but im starting on the low end at 5.5 grs and the home defense part i think this load,or any,would change someones mind,i got the powder because the gun shop said it was what i needed,i wanted accurate #5 because it was in my manual for this bullet and it seemed to be more versatile (38,40,45)but they dont sell it,ive done talked to berrys and alliant so im going to give it a 'shot'

#9 ·
I am certainly no expert on defensive shooting but if you read the NRA magazine, where they tell many stories about home break-ins and self dense situations with a gun, you may come to the conclusion that a poorly placed shot or an inadequate bullet or caliber can make the assailant just madder especially if they are hyped up on drugs. Self defense warrants a bullet that is know for its devastation and one shot kill capabilities. If you wound them, they are still capable of harming to you. Many of those stories have the assailant escaping and dying outside the home or situation. They are able to run away. If that is true then they also may be able to hurt you instead of running the other way. For defense get the right bullet.

LDBennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.