bullet doesnt fit?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 44stevenson, Feb 27, 2011.

1. 44stevenson

44stevenson New Member

I was trying to reload .223 with out the full length sizer die cuz mine is messed up right now. The case neck is too big for the bullet, is this the reason why or is something else not set right?
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

Yes, the case expands upon firing and the neck if nothing else has to be resized down to accommodate the bullet. I am assuming your are not using any resizing what so ever.

Ron
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Not to be a smart a** or anything but that is the first mechanical step in reloading, which is described in detail per any reputable reloading manuals. Reading this type of post leads me to believe you didn't partake in your own due dilligence before starting.....?
  4. 44stevenson

44stevenson New Member

Actually I have read up quite a bit, my resizing die is currently broke due to a stuck case, I was just double checking as to what exactly the full length sizer die does because I've asked it other ways and couldn't get a repsonse.
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Here's a rifle sizing die that is broken down into pieces. What is happening when you're FL resizing is 3 main things

1 - decapping

2 - returning the outside dimensions of the case back to spec

3 - AFTER the case is resized, the expander ball, which is already inside the case, is pulled back through the sized neck and is not ready to seat the bullet with the proper tension.

Since the neck has not been reduced in size back to SAAMI spec and then expanded, this is why the bullets are dropping through.

When neck sizing, you are only slightly bumping the shoulder and then sizing the neck of the case back down, the remainder of the case stays at the dimension of the specific rifles chamber. The expander ball is the same.

Hope this better explains it for you.

Attached Files:

• kit.jpg
      kit.jpg
      File size:
      108.2 KB
      Views:
  7. DGG!

DGG! New Member

My suggestion cost $20. Get a cartridge gage and make sure your reloads easily drop in and out of it. If not, something is out of SAAMI spec and you need to make adjustments. This should only happen to the first couple of rounds. You will quickly see where the dimensions are out of whack.

Spend the $20, it will save you hours and ensure that all your loads will easily chamber in any gun of that caliber.

http://www.intlmidway.com/intl/eproductpage.exe/ShowProduct?saleitemid=645976
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011