Bullet drop chart?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Gene Seward, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Is there a chart that if I know the drop of my bullet at different distances will tell me how many clicks to come to that amount of drop? I know that one of my scopes shows at 100yds. each click is 1/4 inch and the other 1/8 inch, but that comes to lots of figuring at 1000 yds.. If that is being lazy, yep that's me in this case. LOLOL Thanks for any info..
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Yes you can download for free a program. Remington and Hornady have it. Look on their web site. It really helps if you have a crony and are able to put the speed of the bullet out of your bbl.
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Gene i read your post again and it looks like i misunderstood what your looking for. You want a chart to tell you how many clicks to adjust your scope for said distance. Sorry bud. I dont know if this helps but i use a different method of figuring where to hold on the reticle. I use a mildot scope. I use the formula that came with the scope and the data i have on my bullet drop and developed a chart to tell me where to hold on the scope for a said distance. in your case i would probably look into the maufacturer of the scope that you have and see if they have something or an easy way to compute.
  4. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

gene, if you do the math ahead of time when you are bored, you can tape a little chart inside flip open scope covers (if you have them). that way it is there in front of you when you release the scope cover. eventually you will have it memorized and not need the chart. all you need it the program that cyclone talked about and a basic understanding of the MOA concept and you are good to go. i dont know of any easier way.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have never heard of such a chart, but then again, I'm not into long distance shooting. I do know that all you need to know is that if you need 3" then that comes out to 12 1/4" clicks. Bullet drop at 1000 yds is easy to figure, what is hard, is drift.
  6. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

also, check this out. it may be a little more.......lazy oriented:p
  7. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Thanks everyone. The only problem with the scope cover idea is that with my eyes I would need a scope cover that looked like the end of a trash can. LOL Again thanks, and good shooting to everyone.
  8. chemfantry

chemfantry New Member

9. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I think that may just work chemfantry. I think at least I'll give it a try for just $9.97.
  10. islenos

islenos New Member

If you are going to shoot long ranges out to 1000 yards then you will need to set your zero at 600 yards then adj from there.
  11. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Thanks for the info. islenos. Good idea.
  12. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

13. new308handloader

new308handloader New Member

Gene....you can make such a chart and it is common. You have to make a chart for each rifle/bullet combination. Have the round you use chronographed then use a ballistics calculator to figure out the "come up clicks" in either MIL or MOA. I did this then exported the data to Excel and printed it off then laminated it.....it is always on my rifle...see pic.

Here is a link to a free ballistics calculator...you can even enter number of clicks per MOA (4 for 1/4" clicks and 8 for 1/8" clicks)
    http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx

Attached Files:

14. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I like the looks of that 308handloader. I guess the best thing for me to do is chrono each rifle and load and go from there.
  15. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Something else you should know. If shooting long range your ammo must be consistant. You would be suprised but in factory ammo i have found as much as 200 fps difference in one round to the next from the same box. this is no problem if your shotting to 300 yrds but after that it makes a difference. You eigther need to load your own or purchase match or very high quality ammo. Pick a bullet that will do the job (kill deer, punch paper) and go from there. I find that hornady light mags work great in my 308. Also the bullet itself will make a difference. To hunt with i use the hornady sst's. it has a better ballistic coefficent that say your standard soft point.
    Not only will this bullet fly flatter but also help buck the wind.;)
  16. new308handloader

new308handloader New Member

Know that the drop chart is for standard conditions and will only be accurate if those standard conditions are met......you have to figure out the adjustment if conditions are different from standard. Temperature, alltitude, humiity, barrometric pressure and incline all make a difference.....but really only makes a difference past 300 yards (except for incline...it can be a big difference at closer ranges).
  17. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

As for bullet consistency I am reloading and have very good accuracy and have been loading each bullet by making sure everything is the same. When I finish the case ammo weighs the same to the grain. This takes a little more time, but it shows up when you go out to shoot. Plus it gives me a great big smile when it all comes together. Again thanks for all the great info..